add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with first build

bmmcpeek
  • 10 months ago

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide and sorry for the newb questions! Below are my components, the only items I still haven't purchased are the GPU, Windows Pro and the three additional fans. My case comes with three fans and a controller to handle the additional three fans. I am sure I will have more questions and really appreciate the help!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $479.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler $79.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 DESIGNARE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $269.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory -
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $126.69 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card -
Case Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $159.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $129.97 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $145.00 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair - SP120 RGB High Performance 52 CFM 120mm Fan $18.37 @ Amazon
Monitor Samsung - C32HG70 31.5" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $539.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1986.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-18 21:46 EDT-0400

Questions:

1. I have two M.2 ports and I am not sure which one to use? It has a M2M and a M2P port and they share bandwidth with some of the SATA ports . M2M shares with SATA3 4 and 5 where M2P shares with SATA3 0 or 1. I have a table in my MOBO manual that specifies which SATA3 ports would be unactive if the port is populated but I don't understand it since I am not sure if my M.2 is SATA or PCIe? Which port should my SSD be attached?

2. I am so lost as far as which wire connectors need or should be connected from the PSU to the MOBO. How do I know which needs to be connected? It looks like I can use the ATX_12V_2X2 or the ATX_12V_2X4 or the ATX 24 pin...I would assume the best is to use the ATX 24 pin?

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

You only have to plug in the 24 pin and the 8 pin for the motherboard

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks legomaster!! So what the 4 pin is for smaller motherboards? Id like to understand why.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

the 4 pin is for ln2 overclockers why need the extra power. it is only there to provide extra power for them

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much! I don't see myself ever overclocking and if I do I would need to connect all three. Thanks again for the help!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

That SSD is an NVMe type which means PCIe when reading the manual and its talking about Sata vs PCIe M.2 drives. :)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright awesome so basically if I connect it to M2P I would only loose one SATA3 port which would be 0. If I put it in the M2M port I would loose SATA3 4 and 5. Am I understanding this correctly?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

After looking at your mobo manual, yes you are correct. I would use the M2P slot, which is the bottom one, and then make sure you're not trying to use Sata port 0. (which is numbered opposite of what I'm used to. just follow the mobo manual diagrams. pg28-30 have everything you need.)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

You are the best, thank you so much!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Q1:

This is normal (not a compatibility warning). The M.2 SSD shares the same lane as one/two of the SATA ports. Once you utilise the M.2 header on the motherboard with the M.2 SSD, one or two of those SATA ports are disabled.

You have 4/5 additional SATA ports hence no problems there. Just check the motherboard manual to see which SATA port is disabled and avoid when adding additional storage devices.

Q2:

The ATX 24-pin is a necessary connection for powering up the motherboard.

The ATX 2x4 (12v) is necessary to power up the CPU.

The ATX 2x2 is optional, you can either connect this alongside the 2x4 or leave it. Since your PSU supports both of these CPU power connectors and your cooler/mobo choice speaks volumes for "overclocking", use both of them for a more streamlined power delivery. Ideally the 2x2 connection is optional for 'extreme' overclockers who are willing to push the chips performance to it's absolute max (most likely with a high-end custom liquid cooling solution).

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright so I have everything together and just need to work on wire management! I have four new questions regarding the case fans, the PSU and also the CPU 2X2 power cable.

Questions: 1. I only have 2 system fan header pins on the MOBO but will be using 6 case fans. Can I get a cable that will daisy chain off the header pins so I can operate two fans off of one header? The only other option is to get a Corsair power commander which I really don't want to do because then I need to get temperature sensors and the fans would be controlled from the commander and not the MOBO. What are my options to use more fans then header pins?

1. On the back of the PSU it has a switch for single or multiple and the manual doesn't really help much. It only says the single will be protected to 40A which seems really high and I guess multiple is not protected? Should I have this on single or multiple?

2. Right now I have the 24 PIN CPU cable and the 8 Pin CPU cable but only have one other CPU cable but it is a 2x4. It looks like I can take the connector apart to make 2 - 2x2 connectors. Should I use this to connect to the CPU 2X2 and leave the other connector loose? Or should I leave the 2 - 2X2 connectors together and just plug in half of the connector into the header on the MOBO?

3. Can I have anything connected wrong to the PSU? It doesn't seem like its possible but I am nervous to boot for the first time. The labeling on the PSU and manual aren't too helpful. I am not sure if I have the 2X4 CPU connector plunged in to the right one.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube