add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RM650X and Kernel Panic 41 (Task 63)

jidenshaotoko

2 months ago

UPDATE: My HX850 arrived earlier today and I've done a bunch of testing over the last couple hours, including playing The Crew 2 - the heaviest game I own - for over an hour with no signs of random shutdowns. I'll keep testing it over the next few days, but all signs point to my old PSU as the culprit.

Hey guys!

Since last night my PC has been shutting down randomly. At first, I thought this only happened under load, but then it happened while I was fumbling around in the BIOS.

eventvwr.msc logs shows multiple of the same exact Kernel panic since this issue started. I ran mdsched to rule out any possible memory errors and I have a hunch the PSU might be the culprit. A couple months ago we had multiple consecutive power outages in the neighborhood and in one particular case, power went out and back three times within 10 seconds. Since then, my power supply has been making some weird clicking noises.

I went ahead and ordered a new one anyways as I was planning on upgrading it since I made a bunch of upgrades to my rig and I was afraid my RM650X wouldn't be up for the task. So I got an HX850 that should be in the mail sometime next week.

Here's my current setup:

• Asus ROG Strix 370-E
  • Intel Core i7 8700K (no overclock)
  • Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz
  • Zotac RTX 2080Ti Amp Edition (no overclock)
  • Samsung 960 Evo m.2 256GB
  • Samsung 860 Evo SATA 1TB
  • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
  • DeepCool Maelstrom 240T
  • Corsair AF120
  • Corsair AF140
  • RM650X (current one) | HX850 (new one waiting to be shipped)

My question: Was my RM650X enough to run everything in the list under load comfortably or perhaps I pushed it too hard for too long and that might be the root cause of the Kernel panic?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Your 650w was ample to power your system, you list should only pull under 600w under load.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! That's a relief. So what's likely to have caused mine to spaz out was the intermittent black outs we had here a couple months ago. At least I hope so, otherwise that'll be US$230 down the drain on a new power supply.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

The kernel error or what ever error you did get, is mot probably because the abrupt power outages you had.

Your system went down not the normal way.

That can lead to data corruptions and that applies to GPU drivers as well, if you did play a game and you got into a power outage situation.

And a 650 Watt PSU (if it works as intended) is more than enough for the above RIG configuration. :)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah I see. On the eventvwr.msc logs there was 24 warnings of the exact same kernel panic, happening at different times followed by the random shutdowns I've been experiencing.

However, I didn't make it clear but we haven't had any power outages over the last couple months. The kernel panics were happening at random with no signs of power issues in the building.

Please correct me if I'm off base as I know little to nothing about PSUs, but my theory is that the consecutive power outages we had earlier this year messed up with my PSU. After these outages, the PSU started making some weird clicking noises that weren't happening before the outages, though everything ran fine. Maybe it got to a breaking point leading to these kernel panics.

At first the kernel panics happened while I was playing games, but then they started happening while I was working on Photoshop and in one case it happened while I was in the BIOS.

Thanks for confirming my 650 watt PSU is enough to run my rig. I was worried about that. I hope that with the arrival of my new HX850, these issues go away.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you try a different GPU and see if you get the same errors and crashes?

Sometimes such crashes may occur from not correct working VRAM.

Have you overclocked the GPU?

Also you could just use the one of the two 16GB Ram modules and do some testings.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately I don't have a spare GPU to test out. This is my first PC after using Macs for 10 years.

GPU is running at stock clocks and I did test my memory modules and also ran mdsched to rule out any possible errors. Nothing showed up.

This kernel panic is directly related to sudden power loss rather than hardware issues. I don't get a BSOD either. The computer simply blacks out as if power went out, then I have to hold the power button to fully turn it off and back on again. I use it for a couple minutes and just sitting idle at the desktop is enough to trigger this behavior.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The computer simply blacks out.

Does the fans run or your computer switches completely off?

If it switches off, it's either hardware related (the PSU could be a possibility) or you encounter overheating issues.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

When the computer blacks out due to the kernel panic, the fans go to 100% and they keep going until I hold the power button to switch it off. When it's off, the fans completely stop.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube