add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC will not turn on at all. No signs of life except from the PSU.

Executablefiles

10 months ago

I recently build my first ever PC and was very proud. It ran for a week with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Then I got a new monitor and moved my PC from the basement TV up to my room. I remember plugging the cord into the socket and blindly plugging in the female side into my PSU blindly as I had it facing forward. I repeatedly tried unplugging it and replugging it in order to fit it in, and that's where I tried turning it on when I finally got it plugged in. The computer did absolutely nothing.

I sent the PSU back to Newegg and got a replacement one. My computer still didn't turn on. I tried unplugging and replugging everything in the PC, but nothing worked. So what could it be? I saved for a whole year to get my computer and I really hope that I don't have to start from scratch again.

My PC build is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/QnBbt6

Edit: we have gotten the pc diagnosed and it is in fact the motherboard

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

Double check all your power connections (esp. CPU 4/8-pin ATX + MOBO 24-pin ATX). It would be a good idea to remove these connectors from the mobo and re-attach them to isolate any bad connects. Check on the PSU side too.

If you're hitting the case power button with zero activity on the mobo, you want to check your front panel power connectors too. These may have slipped off or come loose. Refer to the mobo manual to make sure all front panel connectors are in their correct positions.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I have done all of this with no results.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

(Check your wall socket with a high-watt appliance to see if it’s drawing enough power. Something like a hoover or an electric heater. When troubleshooting, to narrow down the culprit, always avoid extension leads (or surge protection in-betweeners)

1. Remove all external peripherals and only keep the keyboard, mouse and display connected. Make sure the keyboard and mouse are connected to the standard 2.0 USB ports (black) on the mobo back I/O panel (avoid case front panel ports). Unplug the PSU. Remove the CMOS battery (for 10 mins to be certain). This will clear (reset) BIOS with default system configurations. Put the battery back in and plug in the PSU and try booting.

2. It's possible the PSUs 5v+ signal isn't being read by the CPUs timer reset controller. Unplug the PSU from the back. Hold down the case power button for a few seconds (10 secs to be certain – not to be exact). This should discharge the power supply units capacitors for a cleanly regulated current flow throughout the mobo. Plug the PSU back in. Make sure the PSU switch is on the "on" position (if available on the PSU unit). Fire up the case power button and see if it boots.

3. Remove the GPU (for easy accessibility) and Jump-start your mobo without the front panel power connectors connected. It's possible one of the wires connecting to the power button on the case has come loose. Checking this in detail is usually a pain in the backside unless the button installation is easily accessible. Hence it's easier to simply remove both connectors from the mobo front panel (JFP1 marking on the mobo) and shorting the pins using a screw driver or some other conductive metal object. Check mobo manual to identify which two -/+ pwr pins to short. Eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ioh3DYLTp4

4. One/more of your dimm slots may be damaged. Remove your RAM, and only try one stick on each dimm slot at a time. If it doesn’t help, do the same with the second RAM stick (as the first one may be faulty). I know it’s a pain having to shut down, connect and reboot each time but it does help to isolate issues pertaining to memory.

5. Remove the CPU cooler fan connector and try one of your case fans on the CPU_FAN header. An unlikely fix but worth a shot. Try booting up.

6. You may at this point consider purchasing a new CMOS battery. Just your standard CR2032 lithium battery available at any local tech store. Replace the previous and give that a shot. (remember to unplug the PSU first)

7. At this point, if you’re not having any luck with the above – I believe it’s time to disband the build. There’s a chance you might have a grounding issue with the mobo. Remove the mobo from the case and place it on a non-conductive surface. Connect the necessary connections again and give it a shot. If that doesn’t work I would look to remount the CPU and look for any bent pins or other hindrances. Sometimes a simple re-assembly does the trick without identifying the culprit – hence worth a shot before “the faulty mobo” equation arises.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. At this point we sent it to a computer store that will most likely test all of this

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

did you try the old monitor again?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The PC will not turn on at all. And yes I tried the previous location and got nothing.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Re-seat your RAM.

Any burning smells when you fumbled the power cord?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I did notice a slight smell when I finally turned it so I could fit the power cord in.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Also wouldn't the light labeled ram turn on if my ram was bad?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

If you get nothing at all, it's either power cord, PSU, motherboard, motherboard-to-case cabling, or the case power switch. I'd undo all of the cabling and re-do it, just in case you had a marginal connection. (Is that what you meant by unplugging and replugging everything? if so, try one more time...) Re-seating all RAM isn't a bad idea but I'd expect at least some sort of activity (LED, fans) if the other parts I listed are OK.

Try a different power cord? and, triple check that the wall outlet is active.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

I always re-seat my RAM and cards when I move a system just in case something gets dislodged.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I have done all of this. We sent it to a computer store to check all of this

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube