add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which GPU To Replace 980Ti?

Pogesque

2 months ago

Hey all,

So my GTX 980Ti keeps having these annoying issues where it only puts an image to one monitor before inevitably freezing on me. Needless to say I am done with it.

I am eyeing an MSI RTX 2060 to replace my old love with. Is this a good purchase for around $400 USD? Or is there anything else you would recommend?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Going from a GTX 980 TI to a RTX 2060 isnt that much of a upgrade unless you just need a GPU like you are saying. So, its really up to you if you think spending close to $400 for like 20% more performance. Stinks that your GPU is causing issues during one of the worst GPU buying times. An RTX 2080 or 2080TI is a better buy but really expensive.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I would LOVE to drop the money for a 2x upgrade, but I just need to replace my faulty unit for now. Maybe I can spend a bit more for a 2070.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, i guess an Rtx 2070 wouldnt be too bad of a buy. You are getting more performance and an extra 2 gigs of VRAM.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm gonna say no. The 980 ti is pretty close to a 1070, and a 2060 is pretty close to a 1070 as well. Something like a 1080, 1080 ti, 2070, 2080 or 2080 ti (and maybe, just maybe the 1070 ti) are going to be your meaningful upgrades options. Otherwise it's much closer to a sidegrade than an actual upgrade.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I wish I didn't have to replace my 980Ti at all. But I refuse to waste any more time with the problems it has. No fix has worked so far. Might be able to pay the $600 a 2070 costs. May as well make a meaningful upgrade.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well yeah, I guess if it could be ~4 years old now. I guess I got caught up thinking about an upgrade versus a replacement. In that case a 2060 would be OK too.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand haha. I never wanted to part with it, but a 2060 is a modern age equivalent of it, so I get a boost from the GDDR6 memory and ray-tracing (if I use it)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah RTX 2060 will certainly replace the old GTX 980Ti nicely and you might get a small boost in performance as well which is no bad thing for around $350-$400 going by todays prices. GTX 980Ti is still a good card today, it was a powerhouse 4 years ago when it was released. Not sure what you can do to fix the old card.

If you want a meaningful upgrade, RTX 2070 might be more where you at, but it will cost what the 980Ti cost back in the day. Personally if you were happy with the 980Ti you will not complain when receiving a shiny new RTX 2060.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

my upgrades were 480/680/1080/2080 TI

if 1080 resolution gaming, pick a 1080 GPU......should find many under $400

1080 - 1080 resolution

2080 TI - 4K resolution

edit: amazon has some 1080's under $400

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1080+video+cards&rh=n%3A193870011&ref=nb_sb_noss

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube