add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Unmountable boot volume? Can't access my Windows and my files :(

KarmAngel

10 months ago

Hi everyone ^_^

My laptop's has a Windows 7, that i suspect that it's pirated (not original, came with Windows 8.1). This laptop had memory problems before not letting me even start Windows, problems like reading and writting really slow, webpages freezing and closing.

Now can't load windows! Tried into bios settings and safe mode and nothing. Still doesn't load windows... It restarts my Pc or It gives me this message on a blue screen of death:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Technical information:

STOP: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA800DBB8CD0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009C, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)"

I Just want my Pc back, even If i have to put It on the factory settings or format it somehow... I have important files and i want to get them back.

Please help. I'm looking forward to your opinions. Writting on a tablet is a hell of a thing.

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

um, try taking out the hard drive and launching it on a different PC? to see if it's the hard drive issue/corrupted files

or google how to get Ram testing software on a USB and test the ram on your PC

those appear to be the two causes of this crash

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I would do that if I could. It's a laptop and from what I see when I opened, the HDD is solded to the MOBO and besides, I haven't any other PC around to try it (yet, cause I'm still waiting for the rest of my hardware to come).

I simply can't do that as well. Doesn't let me pass from Windows loading screen...

I'm thinking of buying Windows 10, put it on a USB drive and try to boot it from the USB.

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points
  1. HTF did they sodder the hard drive to the motherboard????? never heard of that before (is it an SSD?)

2. you don't need to bypass the windows loading screen, you need to access the bios which is what you'll need to do if you use a boot drive anyway, make it so the default boot option is a USB. (it might boot straight from the USB if you plug it in before hand if you make it a windows 10 boot drive but figuring out how to open the bios on your PC would still help if it didn't)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It is an hard drive, but i don't see anything that let's me untie screws or some sort... So that option it's a "i can't, unfortunately" :(

I can access to the Bios but i need a USB or some external memory with Windows 10 on It. You give an excelent idea but i'm still working on It, cause i don't have any other PC laying around, to purchase It, download it and transfer for an USB or external memory.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

that does suck :(

maybe try and use a library computer? although you probly need administrator access to install it onto the USB drive, although i'm sure they would let you if you ask.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I will try that but probably I'm better asking an laptop from a friend just to download the Windows 10

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

What is the brand and model of your laptop?

Your software may not be pirated, someone may have downgraded to Windows 7.

It sounds as though your HDD (if its a HDD, though from your description sounds like eMMC that supplies SSD like performance, but has fewer lanes for data. Usually in sizes 32GB or 64GB) is dying, do you have S.M.A.R.T. enabled in the BIOS? I had an old HDD that wouldn't boot if smart was enabled, but would boot if smart was disabled.

If your laptop has a CD-ROM/DVD drive you could use a Linux live CD to boot and then mount the HDD and copy files off to a USB flash drive or external HDD. (Similarly, you can boot a USB flash drive setup with a linux ISO the same way as a disc) I use the Universal USB Installer to setup a USB with a Linux ISO (like Linux Mint for example, try the Xfce) that I can boot from USB.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Toshiba Satellite P50-B-10Z

This laptop add other problems in the past, since day 1, such has: power supply and battery not working, keyboard typing differently than the layout shows, CPU that for whatever reason decided to work only with 1 core, Windows 8.1 that sudently couldn't handle (had too much incompatibilities and was getting heavier, changed to Windows 10 and was heavy the same, then changed for Windows 7 and it run well for the time it lasted), screen tearing, GPU downgrades with drivers from AMD, being the discrete GPU now dead, started appearing some blue screens of death, PC started to be slow to open, load or write whatever was and finally this error, that doesn't let me do anything... Whatever I do, I can't pass from the Windows loading screen.

What is S.M.A.R.T. ? And where's that option on the BIOS, so I can disable it?

Unfortunately I don't have any experience on working with Linux :( and my HDD can't be removed from the MOBO also.

This is feeling like the problem of this all, comes from the motherboard itself. Since day one, this laptop has been giving me problems of all sort. I bought an external SSD but too late to recover my files... I don't have any luck on this :(

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

To setup a USB, just download the ISO for Linux and use that universal software tool to create a bootable USB.

Before you turn the system on, plug the USB Linux drive in and turn the system on. Then press F12 function key and you should get to the boot menu that allows you to choose the media you want to boot, namely the USB drive with Linux on.

Once Linux has booted up, plug in an external HDD via another USB port or large USB flash drive and then backup any files you want to keep. You can also choose to run the system using Linux if all you want to do is browse the Internet, et cetera...

Note: To get into the BIOS itself use the F2 function key after you turn on the system.

If your device does indeed use eMMC that is soldered to the board you cannot really replace it, but you should be able to not use it and use another drive instead to install your operating system to and set a boot order to boot from another drive and not the eMMC.

If your in the market for a new device try the Lenovo 130-15AST, I bought one just recently and am thrilled with it. I use it to play UT2004, run xampp server on and do university assignments on. Mine cost me $400 AUD.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I will try and see what happens.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube