add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Peace of Mind - Ryzen 2700x Values

sdwas

9 months ago

Hello, I want to make sure that my temperature and voltage values are OK. I just built a new PC https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cZ7WGX several days ago.

The primary components are the Ryzen 7 2700x CPU (stock Wraith Prism cooler), ASRock X470 Master SLI/AC mobo, and a GTX 1660 GPU.

I have the Bios settings at basically the default values:

• CPU Frequency - Auto by AMD CBS
  • Memory - XMP 2.0 Profile 1 (DDR-3000)
  • Cool & Quiet - Enabled
  • Core Performance Boost - Enabled

After running HWiINFO64 all day (9 hours of work, 1 hour of gaming) I'm getting the following temps (min/max/avg). The CPU temp is the Tdie value.

• CPU - 33.3 / 67.1 / 50.4
  • Motherboard - 33.0 / 35.0 / 34.2
  • VRM - 39.0 / 55.0 / 43.4

The CPU clock speed has fluctuated between 1,946 MHz and 4,340 MHz

The core voltage had a min of 0.750 V, a maximum of 1.560 V and an average of 1.092 VRM

Does this seem like normal/safe values? Anything to be concerned about? Thanks so much for the time and help.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

Those temps and voltages are all pretty decent. Temps are very slightly high, depending on what you are doing; I only hit high 60's for Tdie under artificial loads such as prime95, but I'll hit low 60's Tdie as a brief max with real loads, and that's with a Scythe Mugen 5 (PCGH, dual fan) cooling the CPU. I'd say you could bring temps down by a maybe 3-5 degrees C at load, but it will cost you at least US$50+ to do it.

The important number (to the best of my knowledge) is Tdie over 60C for any length of time. If you are seeing extended periods of Tdie over 60 then you're throttling the CPU and a CPU cooler upgrade is indicated to get the most out of your CPU. Otherwise, you are doing fine.

I assume this is all stock and you aren't manually pididdling around with CPU clocks?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the response, greatly appreciated. I figured everything was fine but I also wanted additional opinions. Maybe this will also help someone else out in the future.

I am not doing any manual changes to the CPU clocks, this is all the automated AMD precision boost architecture (which is overclocking).

I am probably going to change out the Wraith Prism CPU cooler. It works fine and I certainly understand the visual appeal. However, I know I can get something that cools better with less noise. If/when I do this I will update this post with new values. I do plan on running HWiNFO64 every day for a while to see if anything ever looks out of sorts.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up changing the AMD Wraith Prism cooler with the Noctua NH-U41S. My main incentive for doing so was to reduce the noise, I was definitely spoiled by last build. I thought about a more substantial cooler (e.g. Noctua NH-D15S) but after reading numerous reviews/benchmarks it appeared like there would only be a 1 - 3 degree improvement vs the NH-U41S.

The new cooler is extremely quiet. In other words, I cannot hear it, even under load. It was extremely easy to install on the AM4 motherboard, there was no need to remove the board from the case (which was a nice bonus). Finally, I'm seeing about a 9 to 13 degree improvement vs. the stock Wraith Cooler.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube