add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

When I turn Ram up to 3000 mhz, my case fans/heatsink fan spin at max when computer idle

asianoodleman

9 months ago

Hi all, so pretty much the title, I built my computer about 1 month ago, and realized it's on the default of 2133mhz, I turned on XMP profile 2 and as soon as I did that my computer registered the 2933mhz ram, but then all my fans start spinning at maximum speed when the computer is idle. I'm assuming this isn't normal? Any ideas?

Thanks all in advance

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

When you increase speed to a computer component, it's possible the CPU fan and case fans will increase RPM for the sake of pushing and expelling heat out of the case for the sake of more efficient (if done correctly). You should be able to adjust the fan curves within the BIOS basing upon the CPU's temperature ratio per percentage of RPM increase. Especially if the fan noise is unbearable or maybe not what you want right from the beginning of a computer boot up.

May also need to double check your CPU in the first place, to make sure it's not going pass 95° C (which I highly doubt it but never know).

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

you might have to mess with the fan curves to get the result you want

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont mind the noise, but I am worried why my fans are spinning at max when the computer just boots up and has nothing running. My gpu and CPU when running a game like overwatch runs at about 50-60 degrees, which from what Ive read is fine, but I am just double checking if this is a normal thing.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

It's "normal" if your fans are kicking in due to the influence of increased temperatures, according to the profiles that are configured in the BIOS or fan control software.

What I would do is use something like HWiNFO64 to monitor your temps with and without your RAM OC changes. If your changes are pushing your CPU temps into the danger zone, causing your fans to max out to maintain the status quo, then you may have a problem that's not worth the perceived "speed benefit". If it's just pushing the temps slightly into an increased RPM profile zone, then you can either rest happy that your fans are doing their job, or you can tweak the fan profiles to kick in at a higher temp.

One last question: do you really materially care about 2133 < 2933? Do you really notice enough difference to accept the temp increase and subsequent fan activity?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I use CAM from NZXT to monitor my changes, the fans on idle without the OC Ram are about 950 RPM. In the same situation on idle with OC Ram the fans are spinning at 1700 RPM. To me I have not used the 3000 mhz ram enough to determine the difference because I turned off the OC once I noticed my fans hit that "danger zone" as you say. At 2133mhz I am fine to keep using, but because I paid for 3000 mhz I would like to see a benefit w/o risk

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Your temps are good. Sounds like the fan curves increment more sooner then the usual when you may be around 50~60C range. Again you can adjust the fan curves anytime but your temps are great regardless. It is normal for fan curves to increase when the temperature rises basing upon your CPU and GPU. Some fans may have higher RPM ratio than others and it also varies upon the fan blade type. Certain fans may be more quiet than others. (I'm not saying you are disturbed about the sound of the fans since you clarified, but I know others can be sensitive about those vibrations.)

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

ok sounds good thank for the in-depth answer again! appreciate big time

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you adjusted the fan curves in the BIOS at all? It's possible that changing the XMP profile switched the fans to "full on", either deliberately or accidentally or via BIOS bug or who knows why. Go back and re-enable XMP, retune the fan curves to something more normal, and watch temperatures with HWinfo64 (CAM might be reliable, I dunno, but not all monitoring software is reliable). If the temps are OK, then all you had to do was to reset the fan curves and you're fine.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you so much for helping me, big appreciations

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube