add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Compatible build won't turn on.

thejstrickland

9 months ago

Parts Msi MPG Z390 pro carbon motherboard EVGA 650 B3 bronze power supply Geforce RTX 2070 I7 8700k 6 core processor

Now,before you say the obvious,I have double checked all connection and power supply. The front button pins are as the motherboard says they should be, and everything is securely fastened. I've checked over everything multiple times,and yet still the build won't turn on. I believe the issue is the power supply not supplying the correct number of power cables.im currently using the 2x4 pin in CPU power 1 of the motherboard. I can't use the single 4 pin slot, as I wasn't supplied an 8 pin cable. Many forums suggests this motherboard needs an 8x4 pin connector.

Is something wrong,or has this website been incorrect about compatibility? I need help

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Parts Msi MPG Z390 pro carbon motherboard EVGA 650 B3 bronze power supply Geforce RTX 2070 I7 8700k 6 core processor

Now,before you say the obvious,I have double checked all connection and power supply. The front button pins are as the motherboard says they should be, and everything is securely fastened. I've checked over everything multiple times,and yet still the build won't turn on.

OK. Then I won't repeat such questions. It's tempting though. I would mention one thing, is make sure the 2-pin PW Switch is connected correctly to JFP1's Power Switch connector. Sometimes loose wires or something connected upside down (for some reason) causes a no boot or a fail boot/cycles rebooting.

I believe the issue is the power supply not supplying the correct number of power cables.im currently using the 2x4 pin in CPU power 1 of the motherboard. I can't use the single 4 pin slot, as I wasn't supplied an 8 pin cable. Many forums suggests this motherboard needs an 8x4 pin connector.

In theory and what I have known so far is the PSU's ATX EPS 4+4-pin and the 24-pin should be plenty enough to power Intel's 8th generation processors and this includes the K versions. However, Intel's 9th generation (specifically the K versions) will require that extra EPS ATX 4-pin (the one connector that is near the CPU). We know your type of PSU, the EVGA B3 650w, only provides one CPU 8-pin cable so you will not be able to connect another CPU 4+4-pin cable which will only require one of the 4-pin to be connected to CPU_PWR2. This provides a stable power amount between overclocking. Though I have seen the i7-9700K power with just the 8-pin + 24-pin ATX cables and had a successful boot myself but added in the extra 4-pin later on.

Now if people are saying you need the EPS 8+4-pin for this motherboard (12 pins total for the ATX CPU) then that may be your possible reason too. If you are certain with every confirmation of the wires being the correct connections between not being loose than you may need to change your PSU to EVGA's G3 750w or at least EVGA's GQ 650w [both of these provide two CPU cables].

Is something wrong,or has this website been incorrect about compatibility? I need help

I think it was suppose to work regardless since you have the 8th generation i7 and not the 9th generation version. You don't have a wattage amount issue. I still think there's a possibility that something wasn't connected all the way in (on accident) between an error somewhere. Could be the PSU, RAM, CPU or the motherboard for all I know but hopefully you'll conclude on what is the next possible situation. Use a 4-pin PC Speaker for beep codes when it's this difficult to diagnose while reflecting upon your manual's notes for the beep codes or if need to look them up online for MSI's beep codes. Even I have been guilty once for forgetting to turn set the switch to ON for the PSU. I hope you get it resolved ASAP.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube