add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building first PC

The_Harmicist
  • 10 months ago

So today i built my first PC, but when i got just about everything plugged in. I went to turn it on and yet the only thing that turns on is a light in my GPU.

Can someone help me?

Using a Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard

AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

ASUS 1080 8GB GPU

Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 3200 RAM

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you connected your video port cable into your video card to see if the computer turns ON (boots) to BIOS or a black screen with white text displays to your monitor? (An HDMI? A Displayport? or a DVI-D?)

The black screen with the following text displays:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_

Or it will boot into the BIOS. If it does not then you will need to press DELETE when you restart the computer to go into the BIOS unless it already defaults to the BIOS for now then you're one step more closer to finishing the build. It will require an OS installation when it's properly booting.

Sounds to me you are powering ON the computer but to better clarify on your end. Are your fans spinning? The GPU fan will not spin at the beginning which is OK but you want your CPU fan and case fans turning ON.

If there seems to be a fail boot or a cycle reboot or just no power (does not sound like your situation here) then make sure the PSU's ATX 8-pin (connected to ATX_12V) and the 24-pin (connected to ATX) are fully connected because a loose connection for one of them cause a no boot or a cycle reboot.

Make sure the RAM's dual channel is configured as DDR4_1 & DDR4_2 or DDR4_3 & DDR4_4 since your motherboard doesn't appear color coded, think of each RAM requires an empty space between them (an empty DIMM Slot) and not sitting next to each other because it can cause performance issues or a boot issue. An easy one to have a no boot or a cycle reboot.

Make certain the F_PANEL's Power Switch is connected with the 2-pin PW Switch. (Power Switch). Vice versa for the wires the CPU's 4-pin connector connected to the CPU_FAN, and same for the case fans that have 3-pin or 4-pin SYS_FAN1 and/ 2,3,4. Having a loose connection with the Power Switch can cause a no boot though.

I'm assuming your 2.5" SSD and 3.5" hard drive is connected to SATA3 0 and 1 or 2/3/4/5 with a SATA 6G cable for data transfering between the storage and computer along with the PSU's SATA to power the SSD. This can cause a fail boot up if a storage device isn't detected.

I'm thinking of possible probabilities but I am more leaning towards something simple like a loose connection or have not connected something correctly yet. Do make sure you are directly connecting your video port cable (HDMI, Displayport, or DVI-D) into the GPU and not the motherboard because your Ryzen 5 2600X doesn't have integrated graphics and hence why you will not see anything display on the monitor.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube