add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU choice

crimredgrave

6 months ago

So I've got a budget, $1000, set aside for my first PC build and I'm having trouble settling on a CPU. I'm not picky about either AMD or Intel, just want the best bang for the buck. My build is focused on gaming but future plans for streaming and editing the content that I record. Also, some head room for overclocking would be a nice option to have.

Any suggestions for a motherboard would also be appreciative.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Either the Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x If you're not running sli, just get a b450 mobo... Aorus or Rog Strix, in my opinion...

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Well for the $1000 budget normally I would look into a high performance for the value CPU like a R5 2600 or a i5-8400 (or equivalent on both) as a 6 core CPU is the sweet spot for game FPS per dollar spent. You may also be able to find a R7 1700/1700x for a bargain (check local microcenter if available) because the added 2 cores may help with your streaming and video editing.

There is not much value in trying to get an overclocking Intel CPU at a $1000 budget because you will either be getting the unlocked 4 core i3 which is subpar for your usage due to core count or to severely sacrifice in other areas such as GPU. The 2600 and 2600x can usually OC higher than the 1700 (x) but you are also comparing 6c12t with 8c16t and the clock difference may only be off by 200-300MHz at most.

If streaming is just for a hobby and same with editing, basically meaning it isn't your job and your main source of income then you should be fine with either 6 core CPU.

Here is just something I tossed together just as an idea on how $1000 can be spent: (assuming 1k is USD)

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor $219.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $75.71 @ Walmart
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport AT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $81.29 @ Newegg
Storage ADATA - SU655 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $94.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB MINI ITX OC Video Card $345.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fractal Design - Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case $100.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $61.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $980.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-01 17:03 EDT-0400

I did add the R7 2700 as you can run it on the stock cooler for now until you get a better cooler later on but that would give you a solid 8 core gaming rig and a RTX 2060 which is a nice card for 1080p and 1440p gaming. That GPU also has the Turing based encoder instead of the older Volta encoder in the 1000 series cards for better live video encoding so that should help out too.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

That GPU also has the Turing based encoder instead of the older Volta encoder in the 1000 series cards for better live video encoding so that should help out too.

The 1660 and 1660ti have the newer encoder as well.

It is only the 1650/1650ti which are using a newer smaller silicon that revert to the older encoder.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I was speaking in general when comparing to the older 1000 series cards. I saw that the 1650 cheaped out and got the old volta encoder but that card was all sorts of disappointment in my opinion. I would not recommend that GPU even for a super budget build for as long as the RX 570 is cheaper or if it even matches it in price. Luckily OP has the potential to fit in a 2060 within the budget. If you are going to livestream your games might as well have awesome performance while you are at it! lol.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

What is funny about that is for all the negative hype the Volta encoder is updated from Pascal and newer then the 570's encoder which was never changed from the 400 base silicon.

If you are going to livestream your games might as well have awesome performance while you are at it! lol.

There is only 10% difference between them and Both are going to require reduced settings in newer titles and will max out very few older titles so awesome isn't something I would consider either.

Edit: Painkillers getting to Me.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The M12II/S12II is not a good PSU and it is not suited for modern builds due to being group regulated. It lacks OTP and OCP protection, it doesn't support C6/C7 power states, and as I mentioned earlier it is group regulated which means during crossload the 5V rail or the 12V rail could get quite ugly or even go out of spec. Plus its known to be a loud PSU. It was a good PSU choice in 2010 but it days have passed. Just like you shouldn't use a GTX 470 anymore you really shouldn't use this anymore. Its not a flaming turd that will burn down your house and murder your family but its far from good, and not reliable due to missing protections. Its worth like $25 to $30 at the most brand new, $60 is robbery for it. Use a Corsair CX/CXM instead.

Farther info

It lacks crucial safety protections

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193-21.html

Its doesn't support low power states although its is pennies amounts saved so it is just icing on top of the cake.

It is group regulated which means that it can't out put its full power on the 12V rail and the 12V/5V rail uses one coil and when the load isn't balance e.g high load on one and low on the other aka crossload it has a very hard time regulating voltage which means that voltage regulation on the 12V and 5V can get ugly or even out spec if you push the PSU hard enough.

https://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/psu/160/5

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

You could also go with SeaSonic or EVGA.

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Brand has little to zero meaning as to how good or bad a PSU is. Most brands have high end units, low end units, and stuff in between.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for bringing that up.

Luckily there are many other PSUs to pick from and plenty of budget left to get a decent one.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the rest of your build? Or do you not have a build yet?

I would go for a Ryzen 7 of some sort.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

My build is focused on gaming but future plans for streaming and editing the content that I record. Also, some head room for overclocking would be a nice option to have.

Look at the first generation Ryzen R7 1700/1700X/1800X.

Second generation parts don't overclock as well and You often find Yourself losing overall performance because of the overclocks limiting max boost clock speed so they are better from a no overclocking stance.

R5 of first or second generation are all going to be at best tied and mostly worse at gaming, streaming, and editing then the older R7 parts.

Motherboard wise I would look at MSI for B450 and MSI/Gigabyte for X470 but that heavily depends on the exact models and what pricing You are getting them for.

Depending on the software used for editing and what is handling the encoding for streaming You might be better off with a Intel I5 or I7 for all three.

Gaming is faster.

Streaming wise CPU load can be offset to a capture card/secondary streaming rig or NVidia's onboard encoder which on the 16/20 series cards has been significantly improved.

Editing Adobe's software can leverage the Intel integrated graphics and when paired with a NVidia card You can double dip on graphics acceleration for some tasks.

Motherboard wise You have a mixed bag Gigabyte tends to have better built boards on average but they use a older U.I. for BIOS. The rest of the manufacturers have to be looked at model by model to find decent options.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on features but middle road motherboard I was looking at 450 tomahawk, carbon, legend and 470 I bought the prime pro, rog strix is more the taichi was not bad on sale for 150 range.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube