add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3.5" HDD bracket to fit on 2.5" flat mount

Starkweather
  • 9 months ago

Honestly this is driving me mental. My case doesn't have enough 3.5" HDD mounts for the number of drives I have but it has mounts for 2 more 2.5" SSDs. These mounts are flat, not enclosed so it's just 4 holes that line up with the screw holes on a 2.5" SSD. Right? So all I need is a bracket or enclosure that can hold a 3.5" HDD in place so it doesn't slide around in the case, with four screw holes spaced for a 2.5" SSD. But for the life of me I can't find one. surely I can't be the only person on earth who has had this problem???

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

um, you probly have to make that yourself, you also have to check dimensions to see if it would even work.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe, though I don't see why no one else has already. There is plenty of room. The holes just don't line up.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

How many 3.5" hard drives in total are you intending to install? To clarify better because I have to ask but is your case the Thermaltake Versa J24 TG RGB ATX Mid Tower? If so you are able to install up to three 3.5" hard drives and if you notice at the left side of the case, there's 4 holes sized up for a 3.5" hard drive. Remove the 2.5" bracket at the left when facing the left side of the case.

You could also consider an external docking station for 3.5" hard drives or 2.5" storage (2.5" HDDs or SSDs): FIDECO USB 3.0 to SATA HDD Docking Station Dual-Bay. And I don't recall an "enclose" 3.5" hard drive casing to be connected as SATA to SATA cable and power SATA to the PSU SATA. The enclosed ones tends to 2.0/3.0/3.1 USBs or C-Type connector and depending how large may require an outlet/a power surge/a UPS. And so far there's only been 1x 3.5" HDD for 5.25" bay brackets too.

You also can get creative and use some adhesive velcro staps. Find a location that works best within the case's layout for the fastener while also make certain the SATA cable and PSU's SATA can reach the hard drive. And velcro underneath the hard drive until they feel secure.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

It is in fact a Thermaltake Versa J24 TG RGB ATX Mid Tower. And I am installing 3 HDD drives. However there are no openings on the left inside of the case aside from the PCU hole. And there are only 2 slots and slides for hard drives, not 4. Images for reference. http://imgur.com/n7cTxiI http://imgur.com/oz6W47x (Sorry about the cable mess, I have also removed the hard drives to make it easier to see.) And your right, most of the fully enclosed 3.5" cases use different plugs. So I think velcro straps might be the way to go here.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the clarifications. Aha I see. Yes that's a bit difficult to add in a third 3.5" Hard Drive the with motherboard already installed. It basically forces you to uninstall the motherboard if you really want that third hard drive. And no worries about the mess. Right I was aware about the tool-less drive cages for your 3.5" HDD or for 2.5" storage, handy little things but seems like the recent cases are reducing more of 3.5" storage spacing.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there any reason your using 3.5 inch drives instead of 2.5 inch drives?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Just volume. That and I already own the 3.5" drives.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you considered using a NAS, how many of the drives is just for storage?

They don't necessarily all have to be in your PC.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube