add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5-9400F Upgrade Path in the future

Maestro.III

1 month ago

So I just recently bought my new desktop build with an i5-9400F and a z390 mobo. I am looking online and in hindsight realize that the Ryzen 5 2600 probably would've been better. So now I just want to know how is the upgrade path looking if I ever want to get a CPU with more threads. The performance difference between the 9400F all the way up to most of the i7 CPUs looks abysmal in performance increase, will I have to upgrade my CPU anytime soon basically, or am I fine for some years?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I am looking online and in hindsight realize that the Ryzen 5 2600 probably would've been better.

For some workloads, sure.... What did you build this PC for? Gaming?

As a gaming CPU, the 9400 is usually better.

So now I just want to know how is the upgrade path looking if I ever want to get a CPU with more threads.

Currently, both AM4 and 1151v2 offer an upgrade path to 8C/16T.

It's possible we see more cores on AM4, but it's going to come with some compromises in clock speed, so for many workloads the 9900K will likely remain as good or better.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So now I just want to know how is the upgrade path looking if I ever want to get a CPU with more threads.

9900K is better then anything on AM4 currently.

And even the 3000 series demo was using a biased testing but only traded blows across the several tests they ran.

If they do bring higher core count models to AM4 they will have to run at reduced clock speeds to stay within the power limits set by AMD when they launched Ryzen, You can't just double core counts and keep the same clock speeds.

will I have to upgrade my CPU anytime soon basically, or am I fine for some years?

That depends on the uses.

Gaming then No You are fine for longer then the 18 months at most left on either AMD or Intel platforms.

Other uses depends on the programs being used as the 9400 and R5 trade blows across the spectrum depending on program bias and how they scale with core/thread count.

Something to consider though is even in the most biased cases the 2600 isn't going to be as massive a improvement over the I5 as many would hype it to be compared to a first generation R7.

So if You are looking to swap buy into the platform for its strength in more cores with a R7 rather then a CPU that has limited benefits over the I5.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you aren't interested on all core performance applications like blender and similar, the 9400F will last on you for a couple of years for sure, especially as gaming concerns.

If you need more cores for whatever reason that might be, there is the i7-9700K and lastly there is the i9-9900K, the flagship from Intel.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Future Proofing is a nice but unrealistic prospect given the Future is unknown - but if we wish to postulate, consider this:

From what I read, a new console generation is imminent and it is going to be tremendously more powerful than most PC hardware. According to a recent report, the Sony PS5 will be sporting an 8 core/16 thread Zen 2 processor clocked at around 4.5GHz. The system memory will be 24GB of GDDR6 Ram with a GPU that is Ray Tracing capable and is able to offer 14TFlops compute. Essentially it seems like AMD are designing a console for Sony with an OC Ryzen 7 2700X (but Zen 2) and the Radeon Vii with more VRAM and Ray Tracing enabled. This machine will be a beast.

PC gaming, despite numbers supporting it as a primary platform, is usually an afterthought to developers whom develop around the console hardware and port to the PC. If they design a game to use 8 cores and 16threads and to offer fidelity consistent with a GPU more powerful than the current 2080Ti, PC gaming is going to suffer. A current i9, lauded as future proof, might not look that next year. Remember, a PC also has to run an OS like Windows 10 that eats Ram and Clock Cycles. The console does not have such a resource hog. If a console has 8 cores, the PC needs 10 cores.

Bottom line, design a PC that can play games today. Upgrade path is moot, what is out there today is in no way adequate enough for the demands of tomorrow. In context, the i5-9400F is a fine purchase. There is always more powerful hardware and applications that utilize it in continual development. It is the nature of this business, it stands still for nobody.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube