add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MELTING SATA POWER CABLE.

rqb2001
  • 9 months ago

OK guys, here's one for you. Got a MSI Gaming Plus board with the 7600k processor inside a NZXT S340 case which someone dropped off at my job. It powers up, goes to the bios screen, but when I connect a hard drive the sata power cable heats up and starts smoking. I took the power supply out a perfectly functioning computer, hooked up another hard drive and it did the same thing. What could be the problem. First power supply was a EVGA 750 GQ and the second was a Seasonic.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like the connection was installed incorrectly or a cable was connected to the wrong connection. And it's also possible that the motherboard isn't grounded properly so may need to double-check the standoffs are aligned and tighten to the case between the motherboard being properly installed as well. Even make sure there's enough screws keeping the motherboard in place. Assuming the motherboard standoffs were correctly installed. Hence a potential reason why you can get smoke or melting results unfortunately.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Going to pull the board out of the case and see if it does the same thing while hooked up

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube