add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Feeling vulnerable...I just have to rant

nostalgia2302

8 months ago

I've been feeling pretty vulnerable right now because I'm hearing impaired and I have always had lots of trouble with comprehension. I can't watch movies without subtitles. I can't understand movies if I don't see the lyrics first. I can't do phone interviews because I'm scared to death of annoying people and just scared of the phone in general. I've had people hang on me because they become angry after repeating themselves over and over again. That's why it's so difficult for me to find a job.

But the thing that makes me feel the most vulnerable is having to send my voicemail recordings to my family members or friends so they can tell me what people are telling me. I live in Montreal (Canada) and despite the fact that I can communicate in french, whenever I listen to voicemails I can't understand. I can listen, I can hear, but I can't understand.

It's like my brain has wired itself to not understand English and french sounds. I can hear, but I can't understand. Even when I'm having a conversation with somebody sometimes I just nod and say yes to whatever people say so they don't have to repeat themselves and this has gotten me in trouble a lot of times

Why can't the government just send e-mails instead of calling people? I know there are ways to send secure e-mail with passwords but for some reason society is hell-bent on using the telephone, specially for everything concerning government and medical affairs.

Even my studying choices are impacted by my disability. I can't work on anything phone-related or people-related so that's why I went with computer science which is just mostly programming.

I feel...useless.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 6 points

Get a computer science degree as you are, get a remote job, and you'll never have to communicate over the phone with anyone.

Even an in person CS job will be low-direct-contact and you should be good to go.

You picked a great field to go in to considering your disability.

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

Perhaps you could look into using voice to text software to help in situations where you need to understand something spoken, technology can be a life saver at times.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

yes on a lot of devices their is voice to text like on most laptops/pcs/phones/etc....

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

t mobile visual voicemail

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The main issue with that is that the tech is so new that it has a lot of trouble trying to discern what you said, particularly in public (with a lot of noise)

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

It's alright, bro. You are not useless. Just keep pushing through and you will attain what you pursue.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I can relate, I have normal hearing but my brain struggles to translate spoken language to thought (if that makes sense), it's like I know what they said but can't understand it even if its basic English that I can easily use myself or understand if it's written. Probably connected to my dysgraphia

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

omg I didn't know such a thing existed. What is the difference between dysgraphia and Dyslexia?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I describe it as 'half dyslexia'. I can read just like anyone else, but when it comes to writing I struggle. I have very bad handwriting (often its almost entirely illegible) and have always struggled with spelling (thank goodness for auto-correct).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube