add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

8700K and mod, or 9900K and cheap?

codezer0

1 month ago

Let's keep this simple.

Sitting on a z370 Classified K. For all i know, it is still on a 1.00 bios at the moment. Hoping to free up enough funds to get a cpu for it. Based on its design and power delivery, i am reasonably confident it could overclock a 9900K or 8700K with ease. That's not the issue; money is. And the lack of a bios flashback method to update without a compatible cpu first. My own research shows in launch bios, it won't suppott anything but 8th gen core i3/5/7 chips.

So, with the same funds in mind... Option one would be to slave till i can get a 9900K, cheap cooling to get by, and either find somewhere to flash the bios for me to get it updated or buy an i3 8100 to do it myself. Option 2, would be to just stick with an 8700K, and with the money difference, get a better cooling setup, and gear to delid and direct die mount to get even better temps. No bios issues to worry about, but two less cores.

Granted, I am trying to work a possible hookup to get the cpu at employee rates... At which point, then the 9900K would be the no-brainer. However, the nature of this topic is to assume, and prepare for, if i am unable to do so.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Get 8700K. Invest in better cooling set up. When you change builds the fancy cooling and power supply can tag along for the ride. In future, when you upgrade to new CPU, you will be able to invest more here without having that out of pocket to deal with (worst case = new CPU block). Right now the i7-8700K is fine, no need for the i9-9900K outside of bragging rights or the "I absolutely must have 8 cores for (..insert reason...)".

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you have a hookup at a computer joint where you might be able to get a 9900K for their rates (I don't suspect this will be much cheaper than everyone else tbh - unless you're talking a hookup from Intel, then maybe), can that same hookup at said computer joint, not help out with a BIOS flash? Chances are they have a support dept with an unboxed CPU lying around.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It is more like networking to be able to buy through an intel employee. That would let me solve getting the cpu, but not the BIOS issue.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ahh that makes more sense, and likely a better deal.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So, with that aside, if i am unable to get the networking deal to go through, which would be the way to go?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Dunno, you're comparing 2 very different things TBH.

Granted they are both hot, but one you're trying to get cause it's newer, more cores, and on a 'deal', but want to surround it with bare bones stuff till you can get better.

The other is older (still hot), but you want to do stuff like delid, and direct die cool, buy better stuff to surround. Both options seem kinda weird.

/shrug.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It is weird, I'll admit, but my fuzzy math dictates that for the cost difference, i would have some funds left over with the 8700K to be able to source the kit and gear to take the lid off and get a mount that would allow the cooler to make direct contact with the exposed die. It would eliminate a layer of thermal resistance, and given the typically hotter climate in Arizona, allow me some headroom to maintain say, a 5GHz clock across all cores and remain (Prime+AVX) stable.

A 9900K, would be a bigger cpu performance increase over my 5820K, but with its sTIM arrangement, not nearly as easy to delid, and I'm not sure if there are direct die mounts yet to help with the famously excessive temps.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Just call some local PC shops and see how much they charge to do a BIOS update on a board if you bring it in. Quite likely you will be able to get it done for a low price, at a lower cost than a coffeelake celeron CPU. Though if buying a cheap CPU to just update the bios and that's it the celeron g4900 would be the absolute cheapest one to do the job. No reason to buy an i3 unless you have some use for it later on.

The other thing to think about is what you use the PC for. If it is just for gaming the i7-8700k will be ample and should give awesome game FPS for some time to come or even the i7-9700k too.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

evga's own site literally spells out the launch bios will only support 8th gen i3/5/7 cpu's and that's it. It's only after at least 1.08 that others are added in, like the 9900K. Last I looked at the site, they were up to 1.14, and 1.12 added support for some of the "F" sku models.

If anything, this would supplant my current main PC. Which is funny, because I received the board as a warranty replacement for the eVGA 680i SLI that was the basis of my main pc for the best part of ten years.

UserBenchmark claims the 8700K is CPU-wise 20~% faster than a 5820K, and the 9900K is closer to 50~60% faster. Probably juggle some parts around. That said, it would be weird to go from a main pc with 4x16GB of RAM to anything less. But compared to when I bought the kit of ram in my x99 setup now, RAM prices are still inflated. Not as open price gouging as it was through all of 2018, but still higher than it was in 2016.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

evga's own site literally spells out the launch bios will only support 8th gen i3/5/7 cpu's and that's it.

I see, I saw that it had native support for Coffee lake-S CPUs by checking the website.

https://imgur.com/a/WTQ7rF2 and https://www.evga.com/articles/01151/evga-z370-series-motherboards/

Even PCPartpicker doesn't mention that you need a BIOS update to use that Coffee Lake-S celeron: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XcpVLJ

So considering that I thought it would be compatible.

UserBenchmark claims the 8700K is CPU-wise 20~% faster than a 5820K, and the 9900K is closer to 50~60% faster.

Well You won't see 50% more FPS on a 9900k compared to a 8700k. Some games might have a tiny FPS gain but many games will not have any FPS gain and in either case it may be hard to even tell the difference at all. Though for tasks that can benefit from more cores and threads it does lead a 41% faster multicore speed according to the same site over the 8700k.

But compared to when I bought the kit of ram in my x99 setup now, RAM prices are still inflated.

I am actually shocked how low ram prices are now, Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 used to be well over $400 in late 2017 and is now only $180 which is under half the price. It seems to me memory prices have come down to a much more reasonable level and if they do drop any more it won't be by very much. The 3000 speed kit of that same ram is only $165 now too. Gamers nexus showed that a 2400 2x8gb kit used to be $65 in 2016 but today you find those kits for $68 so it looks like the inflated ram prices are over.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

put it this way, for the X99 build, I have a 4x16GB kit of DDR4-2666 because x99 at the time, would use some funky divider that tended to compromise stability if memory was set past that. but at the time, a DDR4-3200 kit of 4x16GB ram of the same line as what I presently have, would have been $440 (vs the $400 for mine). This same kit of 2666 was up to $980 during the peak inflation.

For this z370 board, the only validated kit of 4x16GB of memory that isn't glitzed up with RGB is some 3200 memory, but still sells for over $1000. And even miserable kits of 4x16GB, 3200+ or 3200/CL14 goes for well over $700 for most all but the absolute weakest or on some kind of sale.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

An i7-9700k has 8 cores like the i9-9900k and is 80 cheaper without running as hot as the i9 processor so if you can fit all of the parts in the $80 price difference that's what i'd do. Just an extra suggestion

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube