add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i9-9900K Overclocking it’s self?

QueenAtomic22

1 month ago

So about a week ago my computer start hitting 4700mhz and it was spiking, when I realize I went to the bios and saw that the cpu was in-fact being overclocked trying to target to reach 5 ghz. I tried putting everything back on default settings and the motherboard is still overclocking the cpu and now it’s by default. I already restarted the computer manually through the 2 pins with tha metal object and still doesn’t work. I called Asus and they say that It could be a problem with the motherboard or the cpu. I still have warranty for both so should I get new ones or do I do something else?? Specs: Cpu:i9-9900K Mobo:TUF Z370 PLUS GAMIN GPU:2080Ti XC Ultra Ram: Corsair 2x8 (16 gb) 2400mhz PSU:Thermaltake 80 Gold 750W

Edit: Im gonna return my cpu and mobo and get them replaced today and later tonight I’ll test them In my computer to see if that fixes it.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That's intel's turbo boost lmao.

They push the clock speeds briefly when a program demands a bit more speed. It also kicks in when operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I’m literally in idle and it’s overclocking by itself, like I explained it’s as if it was by default. You are telling me the turbo boost is enabled by default?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

It is.

If you look at Intel.com's 9900K page, it shows both a base frequency (3.6Ghz), as well as a max boost frequency (5.0Ghz). It will auto-boost some cores for sure. It's the performance you've paid for. If you paid $500 for 3.6Ghz max in 2019, you drastically over paid.

An overclock, is typically when you set all cores to a frequency higher than the base clock, even if it's not as high as the boost potential. The idea being that the avg clock rate will be higher over time with consistent frequency. There is such a thing as per-core overclocking, but that's another story.

Additional to all this, some motherboard manufacturers (at least on their z390 boards) have been cheating slightly by actually tuning the BCLK over what should be the standard of 100 (if I recall, the video catches MSI and ASUS both doing fishy things here).

For the record, I do not think this is your issue, I simply included it to say that sometimes fishy things do happen, but I think in this case, it's just your boost clock.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok I’ll have to mess with the bios then. But also when I turned off turbo boost my thing was spiking for some reason it wasn’t too constant but still.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

And you most certainly paid for the "Turbo" feature (hell, you paid for the "Overclocking" feature denoted by the K on 9900K), it'd be silly not to at least let the stock settings do their thing, including the Turbo.

Can I ask what the concern is about seeing your frequency spike? I'd be certainly be surprised if a Ferrari landed in my driveway out of nowhere, but I probably wouldn't race to the store to give it back (not without at least having some fun with it first).

Again, when Overclocking something like a 9900K people usually want to see their frequency at +5.0Ghz. I'm not sure why you're concerned about seeing 4800. Are you having a temperature/thermal issue? Is your machine super loud trying to keep the 9900K cool to facilitate the boost?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Temperature issue, I hav an h100i pro and it really not enough I think. Also im not trying to over clock till in the future.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What "thing" was spiking?

Frequency in something like HWINFO / CPUZ?

Temperature?

CPU Utilization in Task Manager?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The clock speed is at 4700mhz and it spikes randomly, it’s not too constant but still and it’s shows on CPU-Z and MSI afterburner

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's not overclocking thou.

Again, turbo boost kicks in if you have thermal headroom or working below intel's specification limits.

It's not harmful at all and it's meant to help you.

Also yes, turbo boost is enabled by default.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Interesting, it’s funny that no one has talked about it anywhere I been so desperate to see what was up. Not even at Best Buy they can tell me this ****.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Best Buy (including greek squad) is full of pepegas.

Don't even try to listen to them for suggestions.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yh I realized that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube