add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What should I upgrade first?

Rattlesnake7473

1 month ago

So im debating what I should upgrade first my CPU or GPU my Cpu is a I5-8600k and my Gpu is a gtx 1060 3gb by Pny I play destiny at mostly low graphics but thats how I prefer it I have a 144hz 1080P monitor and I do edit on my Pc for youtube So what should I upgrade first If any of you need a question answered just ask ill tell you thanks!

Note* I also have a second display which is 1080P 60 hz

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If all you play is Destiny at low settings and you have great performance on that then there is no reason to upgrade anything. Your CPU is still one of the top current gaming CPUs for gaming and for casual streaming and video editing should also do a decent job. In OBS just run the nvidia hardware encoder and with your current hardware you should be able to push 1080p 60fps for a stream. Also if you enable the igpu in your CPU in the BIOS then you can use Intel QuickSync for the encoder to do the same thing too.

If you want to run your game at high/ultra settings or run more demanding games then a higher GPU would be nice to have. I would suspect your CPU to be good enough to flex a RTX 2080 TI though I would not recommend that GPU for only a 1080p display. A GTX 1660 TI or even a RTX 2060 would be the high end for 1080p IMO. If you can find a cheap used GTX 1070 that would also be a good choice too.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What do you want out of an upgrade?

The GPU is the most plausible item for upgrading, although you may not see a huge boost if you're playing at low settings now. The 8600K is only a very little bit slower than the newer generation, and adding cores probably won't do much for Destiny.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I agree with you with him getting a gpu.

It also depends how much the game gains from playing on low settings.

Maybe him getting a gtx 1660 ti or vega 56 should be good enough for him.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I also want to try and stream if that makes a huge difference

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's possible that adding cores would help streaming, if you are using the CPU to encode the stream.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

And I can record 720p 60Fps but would like to record 1080 60Fps

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

GPU. The 8600k isn't old at all and performs nearly as well as the i5 9600k.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Unless you are moving towards a PC build which also covers heavy multithreaded workloads I would stick with the i5-8600K for now. It is an excellent gaming chip. Upgrade your GPU to see a bump in performance resolution. I would say with the 144Hz 1080p panel a GTX 1660 Ti or RX 2060 would be a fantastic upgrade.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube