add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stuttering in demanding games with a good pc

VuxTebralone
  • 9 months ago

I have lost my patience with this PC. I have tried everything that i could, and i still get stuttering in demanding games after 1.5 years of owning it. I'll try to explain everything as detailed as possible.

My fps is fine, but i get frametime spikes which point to a CPU issue because in games like BF1 and DOOM, my CPU frametime graph spikes up during the stutters while the GPU graph stays stable. My score in Cinebench R20 is 2649, 3DMark Firestrike score is: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33998414? (that is with my old configuration with 2 different RAM manufacturers and a different HDD, but it will be the same now so i won't bother testing it again).

Here are my specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/VuxTebralone/saved/#view=PQTwhM

Everything is on stock, except that the XMP profile is on. My CPU never goes over 65°C, GPU never goes above 75°C.

These are the games that get stuttering:

• GTA V
  • Crysis 3
  • Apex Legends
  • Battlefield 1
  • DOOM 2016
  • BioShock Infinite
  • Killing Floor 2
  • Wreckfest

And here are the games that have no stuttering:

• Rocket League
  • Broforce
  • CS:GO(although sometimes it also stutters for some reason)
  • DiRT Rally
  • Left 4 Dead 2 etc.

Things that i have tried:

• Updating BIOS
  • Updating GPU and Chipset drivers
  • Manually changing my CPU and GPU frequency and voltage so it doesn't go down
  • Changing the RAM
  • Changing the slots in which the RAM is installed
  • Changing my HDD
  • Unplugging my HDD for the games that are on my SSD
  • Reinstalling the CPU
  • Disabling/Enabling Chill and Framerate Target Control
  • Setting the games to high priority in Task Manager
  • Changing affinity in Task Manager
  • Unplugging my second monitor
  • Lots of different settings and resolutions
  • Closing every single program except for Radeon Settings
  • Monitoring my usages when the stutters happen, nothing spikes up at that time
  • Replugging all the cables
  • I use Freesync but i have also tried V sync
  • Disabling all the overlays(Origin, Steam)
  • Swithing from High performance power plan to Ryzen Balanced
  • DDU
  • Clean install of Windows
  • Probably something else that i forgot to mention

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

Make sure You are not using more then 4gb of VRAM on the graphics card.

And check the motherboard temperatures well under that load as a throttling motherboard will cause stuttering when it downclocks the CPU.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

it's definitely not the GPU, it appears to be an issue with the CPU. it's definitely a computer specific problem because with my i-4720HQ i don't get stuttering while playing games. considering the CPU reaches only 65C then i doubt the motherboard is overheating

sry i do not know enough about the specifics of Ryzen to be able to tell you what the problem is, check to make sure your not under clocking it?

can you explain to me what graphic settings you have the game on? and what exactly is occurring? because one thing i do notice is that in the games that have stuttering they all have hidden load zones, or dynamically load/render objects into the game

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

it's definitely not the GPU,

It very well could be since the 570 is capable of far higher quality settings then what Your old i-4720HQ can.

Once You run out of VRAM Polaris cards tank hard in performance and stuttering is a common sign of overrunning the VRAM on the card.

considering the CPU reaches only 65C then i doubt the motherboard is overheating

Poor VRM to begin with add a poorly designed heatsink in a poor airflow case and it very easily could be on a 95w CPU.

The titles that are listed as not having an issue only engage limited cores so power draw on those titles is lower.

And they are running it stock so mishandled overclocking isn't the issue.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Well considering I can run bioshock infinite without any stuttering on my i7-4720 and my gtx 860m I don't think graphical performance is the issue, if rainbow six siege doesn't use more then 4gb Vram on medium, then I highly doubt bioshock infinite even uses more then 3Gb Vram

He would be complaining about low fps not random stutters, his gpu would also be maxed out, instead of it being his CPU spiking every time.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

He would be complaining about low fps not random stutters, his gpu would also be maxed out, instead of it being his CPU spiking every time.

If it was the CPU the GPU load would drop during CPU spikes.

If the GPU remains stable the GPU is at 100% the whole time even though the CPU load is increasing.

My fps is fine, but i get frametime spikes which point to a CPU issue because in games like BF1 and DOOM, my CPU frametime graph spikes up during the stutters while the GPU graph stays stable.

Now if the CPU load increases from more complex frames but the GPU is already at 100% the CPU load will spike upwards but the GPU load is already maxed out and You lose frames as the GPU struggles to keep up.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not the gpu, i have tried lowest settings as you can see in this video. As you can see, the gpu is not maxed out, neither is the vram. I just get cpu frametime spikes, my cpu usage doesn't spike.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Its not underclocking, i checked. I have tried different graphics settings and the same thing happens. Basically the fps is fine, but for a split second from time to time, the cpu frametime spikes which causes a stutter

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

What exactly is happening in-game? Could be a load zone, unless it happens every couple seconds

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, i forgot to link the video i recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYmmHh38TjI

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel your frustration!

You have tried many, many options to get this issue resolved. Looking at your list, you have just about everything covered that you can try.

I mean you have tried everything in the book. But I have 1 suggestion :)

Can you record your game play with your stuttering and post on youtube? I have never experienced game play stuttering, so I am not sure what that actually looks like. Years ago, everyone screamed "LAG"!!

edit: have you tried different monitor? You have 2 listed, you just play on 1 correct?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I forgot to link the video that recorded, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYmmHh38TjI

Edit: Yeah i play on one monitor, but i have tried the other, same exact issue.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I looked at your video, thanks.

is it at 5-6 seconds of the stutter I should be seeing?

Can you add temps to your MSI Afterburner screen for both GPU and CPU? The details it does show on the screen seem all normal to me

edit2: try a different HDMI cable to your monitor

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

The stutters happen every time the yellow line on the bottom left spikes up.

The temps are fine, as i said, but i have to correct myself. The gpu goes up to 75°C and the cpu goes to 65°C.

I have tried the other monitor which is plugged with a different cable, so it isn't the cable that's causing he issue.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

how is this yellow line affecting your game play? I dont notice anything on your video other than the "yellow line" on some graph. What program is this?

do you have lag? no.....

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

It stutters for a split second every time the line jumps. Its hard to notice on the video, thats why i put the graph. Irl its very noticeable.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube