add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I replace my cpu (if so, by which one)

desmeu

1 month ago

cpu: i5-6500 gpu: msi gtx 1070 8gb mobo: asus z170 pro gaming ram: 16gb corsair ddr4 2400 psu: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold monitor 1: 144hz 1080p monitor 2: 60hz 1080p

So while playing games I often see my cpu maxing out which makes me stutter every so often. It's not super annoying, however I'd like to future proof my pc by replacing it. Do you have any advice for which one I should go, and maybe a new mobo if it's not compatible with my current.

Thanks in advance already!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would wait and see if the Ryzen 3000 series is any good. I don't know what your budget is but if you do not want to wait or think they will to expensive I would go Ryzen 7 2700X for 279.99 USD If you want Intel though you could go with the Intel I7 8700 for 294.00 USD If your budget is lower than these just go down a series or so.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Are you on a DDR3 or DDR4 motherboard?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That mobo is DDR4, as is his RAM as stated above

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would personally give it a few months for the release of AMD's 3000 series of processors. Their supposed lineup consists of excellent CPUs for the price, as per usual with Ryzen.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You could try to find a good deal on a used 7700K / 6700K then sell yours, if not you will need a new motherboard also.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

this is what I would do If he doesn't want to get a motherboard or switch to ryzen.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

As stated from Zerk2012.

Only if you find a good deal on an i7-6700 / i7-6700K or an i7-7700 / i7-7700K processor.

Note: That board needs to be updated at least to BIOS ver. 3016 to accommodate an 7th gen. Intel processor.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I see a decent motherboard being held back by a locked cpu. You can definitely take it up a notch with a used i7-6700K. While the i7-6700K has lost a little bit of it's luster for enthusiasts, it does support hyperthreading and can be overclocked nicely. It is a considerable bump up on the locked i5 CPU you have. It will certainly perform a good deal better than the i5-6500 on gaming. Will it stop frames from hitching due to CPU loading? No, but neither will the i9-9900K. Will it improve performance? Heck yes, and best part of it is that you do not need to change motherboard or OS and so on, just insert chip and you are good to go. Worth a thought. Investment around $270 or so, sell the i5 for around $150, if you do not eat takeout Pizza for 6 weeks, you will be all square. I was going to recommend an i7-7700K but you will have to update the bios and people have gone mad for Kabylake stuff and it is flipping at inflated prices.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube