add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Recently built computer struggles to run games.

SirTy18
  • 9 months ago

My computer struggles to run games above 30 fps and I feel like it shouldn't be running anywhere near that bad. When I turn settings down it tends to just get worse. Games like Rainbow 6 and Wildlands both have a bar showing how much vram(?) I am using for those games and maxed out setting its usually not even half of my 8088. Games I typically play and struggle to run are fortnite, minecraft, Rainbow 6, Wildlands, and For Honor. Games I run max and have zero problems with are Borderlands 2, Waframe, Subnautica, Apex Legends, etc. Here are my specs:

GeForce GTX 1070 Intel(R) Core(TM)i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz 16 GB RAM

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

Just making sure, is the monitor cable plugged into the GPU outputs, not the motherboard outputs?

How are the CPU and GPU temperatures under load?

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

Did this get resolved?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

It did not. I've tried everything I can think of but no luck.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, give us your full system specs. Specifically HDD or SSD info as well as what PSU you are running. I'd also like to know your settings and what monitor your hooked into. I'm really curious what is going on here. Ill give you a few theories off the top of my head, some of these are easier to deal with than others.

1. GPU is junk and needs to be RMA'd back to manufacturer.
  2. PSU is not delivering the power needed and simply needs to be replaced.
  3. Bios or software (this crap gets tricky, might be easier to do a full clean install of windows from scratch)
  4. HDD or SSD is starting to fail causing system wide issues.
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Post a full list of your specs. Including the monitor your working with.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Monitor:Dell SE2717HR 27" Full HD IPS Monitor, 1920 x 1080, 6ms Response Time, AMD FreeSync, HDMI 1.4, VGA Windows 10 Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763 System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. System Model Z270P-D3 System Type x64-based PC System SKU Default string Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F7, 11/8/2017 SMBIOS Version 3.0 Embedded Controller Version 255.255 BIOS Mode Legacy BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. BaseBoard Product Z270P-D3-CF BaseBoard Version x.x Platform Role Desktop Secure Boot State Unsupported PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible Windows Directory C:\Windows System Directory C:\Windows\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17763.404" Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB Available Physical Memory 10.6 GB Total Virtual Memory 21.4 GB Available Virtual Memory 13.1 GB Page File Space 5.47 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys Kernel DMA Protection Off Virtualization-based security Not enabled Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST2000DX002

Im not sure if any of this is what you needed but its all I could find outside of what I've already posted

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

A bit of a mess to read through but i get the general gist. I'm honestly not sure though what the real issue is at this point. Its just odd that its some games but not all, and the games dont seem consistent. Its possible the hard drive is failing or corrupted in parts, I might try replacing that first and seeing if it helps. Go with a cheap SSD to install windows and add in a few of those game that are giving u grief. At this point though this is just a guess on my part.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Update your drivers? I know NVIDIA is having problems where the CPU is stuck at max load or something like that

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I double checked and from what I can tell everything is updated.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Turn V-Sync off and make sure you dont have a framerate cap. Go into task manager and see what is eating up all the RAM/GPU power/ CPU and whether any background tasks are running. Also go into your monitor settings and turn v-sync off and free-sync off.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Just seeing you haven't replied to the guy who also said this, if you've plugged your monitor cable into the wrong port, you'll be using the integrated GPU in the CPU rather than the GPU itself.

The GPU ports are below the main bulk of ports and are in a different orientation to the other monitor ports.

Here is a picture to illustrate https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/431214166116663308/579402748382937088/unknown.png

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube