add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC not working due to brand new hard drive?

RobertGlenny20

1 month ago

Hello, I've recently bought a brand new 1TB hard drive due to my older one failing. Before installing my hard drive I was operating windows on my SSD, however as soon as I installed the Hard Drive, the PC kept saying that my "PC/device has to be repaired" and that "the automatic repair couldn't repair your PC". I've already tried to manually repair it by using a ISO windows file on my flash drive but during installing the update, it had said that "Setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file." So I had decided to completely reformat my SSD and do a clean install of windows, the same thing happened again. I've tried to reinstall the ISO file multiple times and used different USB ports on my system but none of these methods worked. I've tried to do the control panel method but it hadn't detected any problems with my SSD nor my HDD. I've even disconnected my HDD to see if it would work without it but to no avail. Can anyone please help me with this strange situation?

Specs - CPU - i5-6600k GPU - GTX 1060 6gb RAM - 8GB Power Supply- Corsair CX 550 SSD - SanDisk 480gb HDD - WD 1TB

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I've tried them all but would say it couldn't do each one.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

"Setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file."

Why you don't re-download the Windows ISO file, make the USB device bootable, connect only the SSD drive and proceed with the installation?

You should first erase any volume or even partition on that drive.

So it should look like this below, before you click on the Next button to continue with the installation procedure.

https://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/xlarge/public/field/image/2018/12/clean-install-windows10-process.jpg?itok=K-uywJy0

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You are a legend. You were right about me needing to remove the extra partitions on my drive. Now I'm able to get my fresh install. However this I would still like to add the 1TB HDD, how can I safely add this HDD without this incident happening again?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

After you finish the installation of the Windows OS, shutdown your computer and connect the second (HDD) storage device.

You can format that drive through Windows afterwards if you wanna to.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube