add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Are EVGA BT series PSUs good and reliable?

Fierybattlehawk

10 days ago

I've heard from multiple people that EVGA PSUs are known for not lasting long and some even having a lower wattage than advertised, is this true? since i currently have the BT 450w 80+ bronze and I've heard that you're lucky if they last for 2 years, should i upgrade my PSU to a Corsair CXM 550w 80+ bronze or stick with my EVGA one? ignoring cable management for now since one is non-modular and another is semi.

My current (admittedly bad) pc: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bZBR7W

Comments

• 9 days ago
  • 3 points

I've heard from multiple people that EVGA PSUs are known for not lasting long

Disregard them. It depends greatly on the model and the conditions/environment it's in.

some even having a lower wattage than advertised

More so that people misunderstand the wattage ratings.
Particularly with cheaper models, the 12V (the most used voltage in a computer) delivery rating in substantially less than the overall rating.
Sometimes PSUs are rated for peak delivery, as opposed to continuous.
And rarely PSUs deliver out-of-spec voltages or simply die before hitting it's power rating.
But this applies to every brand, not just EVGA. It is best to read professional reviews specific to the model in question.

since i currently have the BT 450w 80+ bronze and I've heard that you're lucky if they last for 2 years, should i upgrade my PSU to a Corsair CXM 550w 80+ bronze or stick with my EVGA one?

No. What would be the purpose of that when you still have atleast a couple years' worth of usage in it. It's okay for a low power system like yours.

• 8 days ago
  • 3 points

The BT is a decently constructed PSU of older design that had a couple teardown reviews. The general conclusion was that for a low draw build it’s not a bad PSU if you can get it at a low price. When it’s priced close to better PSU’s, there’s no point, but I wouldn’t assume that it would only last a couple years. If it’s not giving you trouble, don’t worry about it.

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

That's difficult to answer.

It may be good enough for that build, but if you don't mind to change that PSU with a better unit, it would be the best in the long run.

You don't need to go overboard.

$29.99 with mail in rebate!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139146&Description=CORSAIR%20CX-M%20Series%20CX450M&cm_re=CORSAIR_CX-M_Series_CX450M-_-17-139-146-_-Product

That Corsair unit is considerably better than the EVGA BT, and has 5 years warranty!

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

It REALLY varies by series, and type

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

Relies on type of series and size variant

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube