add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5 or i7?

Erdokken

1 month ago

I'm not sure If I should get an i5-9600k or a i7-8700 The i5 is 60 dollars cheaper but the i7 has 12 threads so idk btw i'm probably gonna pair this with either a 2070 or 2080

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

8700 has the same number of cores and only adds hyperthreading.

Call it a 0-30% performance increase if the workload can scale into the threads if both are at stock speeds.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Omg I'm retarded Idk why I thought the 8700 had 8 cores. Anyways thanks

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No worries it's an easy mistake with the 9700K and 9700 being 8-cores.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For gaming workloads the i5 may actually be faster than the i7 - given the i7 you chose is locked and the i5 unlocked. Workloads that strongly load two cores or four cores, I expect the i5 to come up ahead here, perhaps even significantly when overclocked. i7 will come into its own on multithreaded applications.

Unless you are restricted power wise and cooler profile wise (i.e. a small form factor mini itx build for instance), the i5 would be the better purchase here. The i5 and 2070 together is a popular pairing and not horribly expensive as things stand. A great option for 1080p, a good option for 1440p.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

True but you end up paying more for the i5 as needing to get a cooler strong enough for overclocking and an overclocking board to be able to do so. The i7 can run off a b360 chipset board since it can't OC anyhow and it does come with a stock cooler. That being said it is recommended to still use a budget air cooler that is better than the stock cooler such as the DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400, Pure Rock Slim, or a M9i cooler depending on what aesthetic you like best.

The overclockable i5 might be the better choice overall though simply because of the overclocking. Well it depends on the workload if it could really use the hyperthreading or not but the per core speed of the overclocked i5 may make the most difference. Though the i5-9400f on a b365 motherboard is weaker than the 2 options OP listed but can still deliver a really value oriented gaming build and awesome gaming experience so no matter what OP chooses he should get a nice PC.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Cannot disagree with any of this, particularly that going "K" means investing in a good aftermarket cooler. The locked i7 is not at all a terrible choice if the aesthetics of the fan are not bothersome to the individual or the individual does not wish to spend the dime on higher end motherboards. A locked i7 is no slouch. The i5-9400 is certainly a much better deal and a great chip for the price. If the end game is gaming and getting playable frame rates, the 9400f comfortably meets that.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The i5 would be the better choice, as it will be able to be overclocked and have a better single core. Although, It might be worth getting a Ryzen chip with the option of getting Zen 2

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube