add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is overclocking ram necessary?

ktran714

6 days ago

I was wondering if overclocking ram is necessary if I were to overclock my GPU and CPU. Would there be a difference if I didn’t overclock ram alongside a CPU and GPU?

Comments

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

There's a difference, yes. Whether it's a significant difference depends on the CPU (Intel or Ryzen) and the difference between the base clock and what you can overclock to.

For instance if you have 3000 MT/s RAM running at a base of 2666 and an Intel CPU it's probably not much improvement to push to the 3000 MT/s rating. If it's 3200 MT/s RAM that defaults to 2133 on a Ryzen CPU then you might be losing a few percentage points by not overclocking the RAM to (or at least close to) its rated speed.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Well here’s my build and I was wondering if the CPU and ram I’m gonna be using is worth overclocking.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Zowie. If you're going to pay for RAM rated at that level you might as well use it.

Technically, anything over 2666 MT/s is "memory overclocking" in the DDR4 world. You'll definitely want to enable XMP (basically, memory overclocking); whether you manage 4133 MT/s or have to settle for a lower rate will depend on the luck of your CPU and motherboard.

As for CPU overclocking, the 9900K is pretty fast out of the box; the amount of overclocking you may want to apply depends on your CPU cooler, which I don't see listed. A decent midline cooler (Scythe Mugen 5 / Fuma / Thermalright Macho etc) would probably support a modest overclock into the low 4+ Ghz level, one of the big air coolers or 280-360mm liquid cooler would let you push it higher.

The big time suck when overclocking is ensuring stability. Just because you can get it to boot doesn't mean it's stable, you'll want to run at least some level of memory and CPU stress test to ensure that the machine isn't producing wrong answers or crashing every 15 minutes.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I’m planning on using a custom water cooling loop. Still doing some research on how to do things lol

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Good grief, overclock that high end RAM pronto. I have that RAM BTW, it will not be as easy as you think to get those speeds. I got mine to 4000 and it will move no further.... then again, I am using a different Z370 motherboard that has it's own quirks. Maybe the Aorus mobo you have will prove more generous. I would imagine it could be as simple as choosing profile 1 on XMP although if you purchased two separate kits, that may not be the case and you might have to manually play.

As for RAM - the difference between bog standard 2133 and 4133 will come down to application. In gaming, 4K for instance, not too much. At 1080p or 720p, could be very significant. Intel chip sets do hit diminishing returns past 3200 so YMMV.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

What’s YMMV?

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

*Your Mileage May Vary.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Ah. Thanks for that lol

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

And when you said two separate kits, what are you referring to?

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

Ram sold in kits - could be two or four or even eight sticks. If you look at QVL on the motherboard manufacturer's website (QVL = Qualified Vendor's List), all the RAM brands and RAM kits that will have an XMP profile on the motherboard will be listed.

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok. Thanks

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Intel doesn't scale as much as Ryzen for ram speeds. From what I can see you also get big diminishing returns on either side above 3200mhz too. Though a 4TB SSD? 2x 2080 TI SLI? I wonder what you will be using the PC for. SLI isn't a huge thing for gaming these days due to development on support for it was handed off to game developers who won't invest the time into 0.5% (or less) of their customer base. At the peak of SLI in gaming it was at best 3-4% of the gamers that bothered with SLI/crossfire. That and a single 2080 TI can power any game today well on 4k or 1440p high refresh.

Originally when I saw the title I was thinking lower speed ram getting overclocked to 3000-3200 which is really hit or miss and can be buggy to work out and get stable. Personally I would just be happy with 3200 in a high end home PC build.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

I’m just gonna be using it for gaming mostly. Reason why I chose such “high end” parts is because I figured the higher the better in a way, if that makes sense lol

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Well the higher end you go the more diminishing returns you get for your money. A good "high end build" that will likely last you many years would be as follows:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $404.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler $73.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $189.00 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $115.98 @ Newegg
Storage Intel - 660p Series 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $209.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - IronWolf 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $178.49 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card $1049.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - S2 ATX Mid Tower Case $170.90 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2483.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-15 17:20 EDT-0400
  • The i7-9700k is still an 8 core CPU though it lacks hyperthreading which in the most demanding games today won't make much of a difference at all
  • 16gb of ram is plenty for gaming but if you want to get into video editing you can get 32GB
  • 1600w is overkill for a PSU so picked a decent 650w which is more than enough power if you plan overclocking
  • 2TB NVMe SSD, still faster than a SATA one but a bit slower than samsung, in game loading bars differences will be minor and will have zero effect on game FPS. Also enough room for windows and many games at once.
  • 6TB HDD, bulk storage if you want to save videos and other stuff on. If you somehow run out of room for games on the SSD you can put less played games on this. Steam allows you to add game folders to where to install to and you can move entire game files from one to another to manage space.
  • Can get a high quality motherboard for OC and gaming without spending over $300. You are not really gaining anything that will make much difference in your games spending that much
  • Better valued RTX 2080 TI from a well known brand
  • added a random cooler that should be able to push a 5ghz OC depending on silicon lotto but if you see another cooler you like such as an AIO then go for it.

Now your original build not including price for such high end ram was almost $5300 USD. This revised build that will also perform nearly as well in gaming costs under $2500 with the ram price included and when paired with a 1440p high refresh rate gsync or freesync display will just crush games. You will not gain a lot of game FPS by doubling the budget and you are flushing your money down the toilet. Basically the thought of "the higher the better" doesn't work in the top end of PC hardware. in the bottom and and mid range that does hold true but not in the area where you are looking into.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

What if I went with my build but just used the 3200mhz ram instead?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube