add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Black screen but sound is on

Stop1333
  • 9 months ago

Hi i was playing apex and suddenly my monitor became black but i was still able to hear the game i waited a little bit. Nothing happened. So i restarted my pc and Played apex again it worked well (btw i only played for 15 minutes) second time i was scared to play for a long time. So can u help me? Specs r5 2600 msi 1050ti 8gig ram g561 case vs450 corsair psu msi b450 Pro board. Nothing oc my pc is 2 months old. This never happened before on Apex. Btw i smelt a weird psu smell when it crashed but when i played again i didnt smell it.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

Weird PSU smells... uh oh. I had a similar issue way back on a Corsair PSU. I replaced it with an EVGA gold recently and have had no issues every since then. I would suggest you do the same asap.

If it smells hot at all, or chemically that means your PSU is telling you "sup bro, yeah im dieing" I would not run that PC until you swap it.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I cant buy a new one anyway to make sure its ok? I have monitoring temp programs if theres a way to make sure its ok through the temps program. Also the guy above says its normal in apex and the smell now is very normal (a psu has a smell anyways sometimes it can be hard and smelt from far sometimes u have to get insanely close to smell somethin. If i have the second case everythings ok? Right? Also the guy above says its with him 2 btw its only apex with this problem

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

If my PSU starts smelling funny, I'm replacing it. Thats just me man. That said, it might not be related to your issue. I have no clue on that, but you start smelling something new all of the sudden something is going on. I'd keep a close eye on it.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I think its gpu cuz games that doesnt need gpu works well. Is theres a program that tells me if gpu is working good?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

The GPU will draw a lot of power though so dont rule out the PSU yet. As its drawing power the unit may be failing and therefore it crashes. I would just keep an FPS counter up and keep and eye on your heat. Tons of programs can help you with that out there. MSI Afterburner comes to mind off the top of my head.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

The gtx 1050 ti barely draws any power (most use 75w with the pcie only version and 90-100 watts with a 6 pin)

That being said, Corsair's VS series psu are pretty mediocre overall and the orange labels are even worse (VS 400 orange label died at full load) https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vs450-power-supply,6076-6.html

He should get a CX 450

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Goddamit after reading forums my problem was that i had a pending Windows update and from that forum ive heard that this can cause the issue. Because temps are ok. Fps are so high. I dont smell stuff anymore. But is the may 1903 update safe? No bugs or glitches?

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

um, if the PSU was Fking up it would have shutdown your PC instantly....

that smell is probly just your PC running hot. and the black screen can entirely be just a bug, you might have hit the windows 10 key.

i've had black screens when i try to alt tab out of the game

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Finally a reply. Ok but after alt tabs i just restated to run the game again. So its not the psu? Thank god i don't have money for another one but what do u mean by u might have hit the w10 key?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

because it might freeze up getting into a black screen.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

So its a 1 time problem? I should not worry?

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

well it's definitely not the PSU, and Apex Legends does have bugs, and I've had a black screen with sound which requiring a restart in a couple games before.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

U made me feel good thx

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube