add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

No display from card or mobo

Rpena
  • 9 months ago

Hi, just built a new pc using the parts from this link

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XrQ7tg

I put it all together and it powers on. But I get no display signal on my moniter.

I had tried the Dvi port on my graphics card. Nothing, removed the card. Tried the hdmi port on my motherboard. Nothing. Removed and reinstalled the ram. Checked the pins connected to the psus, and removed and reinstalled the bios battery and still nothing. I'm at a loss.

Any ideas or do I have a dead part somewhere?

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

It still may be your GPU. Your CPU does not have on-board video, so you shouldn't expect any output from the motherboard without a gpu installed.

(1) Make sure your monitor is looking for its input from DVI (2) Re-attach the DVI cable at both monitor and GPU in case of loose connection (3) Try a different DVI cable (4) Try connection with an alternate cable type (HDMI, DP, etc.) (5) Try connection to a different monitor / TV (6) Try re-seating the GPU in the PCIe slot (7) Try seating the GPU in a different PCIe slot (8) Try using a spare GPU (if available) (9) If this is a brand new (blank) system, take the primary hard drive out of a working PC and put it in this new one. If it powers on and you hear it boot all the way to the Windows chime, you know the system is good and the issue is strictly video

...basically, try various things to try and isolate which component the issue may be originating from. Unless that GPU is DOA, odds are you've just got a loose/partial connection somewhere.

...of course, I've helped people at work that swore their monitors were broken and all they had to do was switch input signal (VGA -> HDMI, HDMI -> DP, etc.), so you never know what it could be. Here's hoping you've got a simple fix!

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

Something doesn't add up the card has no DVI or VGA.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

3 DPs and an HDMI...good point.

I didn't look a the GPU spec that closely and was just suggesting port types from memory. Only two options on that one.

I suppose if OP is using a DVI cable, it could explain why there's no signal. OP, are you using a converter to change the monitor end from DP or HDMI to DVI?

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

I figured it out it was the gpu. I took the old card out of my old build and put it in my new one. The display worked so I gotta return the card. It was DOA

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Glad you figured it out and thanks for reporting back.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Potentially dumb question but are you sure it is not the monitor that is the issue?

I'm assuming the fans are running when it powers on.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube