add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

windows 7 or windows 8 for new gaming rig??

kyleheath

68 months ago

So I am about to build a new computer which would you guys recommend for gaming. I have windows 7 right now but I hear windows 8 is good also.

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 2 points

Only Windows 8.1 has the newest version of Direct X 11, so eventually you are going to have to upgrade to Windows 8 when games eventually require DX11.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

DX12 will be supported on windows 7.

You don't need windows 8 for anything, except if you love the metro start menu.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Mind sharing a source? There are portions of DX that are not available right now in Win7 and I can't find anyone that will confirm support for DX12 and Win7. The closest I can find are "considering it" or "possibly support" regarding the two.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 7 is obviously closest to the original OS that many Windows users are used to but windows 8 is more optimized for gaming, and like im2slick4u said, it is made to use DX11.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

ok i am thinking of going with http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700615 then...its not the pro version just the home but I don't need the media player or whatever the pro comes with.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I decided to install Windows 8.1 and I do notice a difference in speed with my games.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube