add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Vega 64 Overheating

ADP2

8 months ago

So I need some help keeping this bad boy cool during gameplay. I didn't notice the card was getting hot until I was troubleshooting booting issues. My computer started getting laggy, then would freeze up. Then I was updating drivers and it started the eternal repair boot. After digging around I realized my boot drive is the Adata 128 gb ssd that sits under the gpu. The gpu over time had gotten so hot it was messing with the boot drive. I did a fresh install of windows, which stunk because my backup was corrupted and couldn't go back to previous version. I now run Radeon settings open all the time to manually control the fan speed. PC is running great, but when I log into games the Vega get extremely hot almost instantly. I crank the fan speed up to 100 and it doesn't touch it. I have even set up a small fan blowing directly on it to no avail.

Ryzen 5 2600x MSI X470 Pro Carbon NightHawk 3200mHz Radeon Vega 64 EVGA G3 750W 80 Plus Gold

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

How hot? what are your temps whilst gaming? 80-85c is "safe", 90c is irritating but again "safe"

Vega cards are generally power-starved hence will draw plenty of juice to push the cards upper-ceiling limits. If your case air-flow conditions are some what decent without any obstructions and the arrangement is absent of close-knitted breathing spaces (impeding the fans workload)....I would then look to undervolt/shift the gears for a lower profile via wattman global https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7TV_FoDyhg

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

It pushes 90-91c with hotspot temps of 101-102c. After playing 1 game of Apex It will burn my hand to touch the back of the card. AS for ventilation, I have the glass sides off my pc and a small desktop fan blowing directly on the card. It still causes the problem of overheating my SSD.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

You'll want to relocate your SSD to a cooler part of the case. If no mounts are available, a quick DIY job would be beneficial. In a couple of our partners work systems (older ones), i simply mounted them against the drive tray walls using velcro. You definitely want to avoid SSDs from overheating as this will impact the drives performance.

As for the GPU, you're not alone when it comes to overheating issues, this is common with Vega 64 cards and easily remedied by down/under volting the card. Basically limiting the power going to the card and dropping a few states down on the clock cycles. Before manually undervolting/downclocking the card, head into Wattman Global and see where your power plan is hanging on (POWER SAVE/BALANCED/TURBO). If on turbo, push the slider to "balanced". Apply the changes and restart the PC and see how you get on in benchmarks/games.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube