add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC Not Posting With GPU Installed

noodlebird

8 months ago

Hey PC people!

I sold my friend my old 980ti hybrid after I upgraded last October. Recently, his PC suddenly started crashing while playing FFXIV. The cause was not overheating, and at the time he was using a 750 watt PSU. Before then it had given him no trouble. A few driver reinstalls later and the system keeps crashing while playing FFXIV and Heaven 4.0, eventually concluding with the system not even posting with the GPU in the PCIe slot. When installed, his PC doesn't post, and he says there's a click coming from inside the PC. I believe that's some kind of breaker, and that he just has something plugged in wrong, but he swears everything is connected correctly.

Here is his spec list: -windows 10 -OEM Intel 1155 motherboard -i7 2600k -4x4GB DDR3 -750 watt PSU (both units are Corsair) -EVGA 980 ti Hybrid

What we've tried: -testing individual memory sticks -reinstalling drivers using DDU -changing the CPU thermal paste and upgrading the cooler -new PSU (also 750 watt Corsair) -updating the motherboard BIOS -testing an entirely different RAM kit -putting a new GPU in his machine (posted successfully with a 970 and an R9 270x) -putting the 980ti in his friend's machine (that machine also did not post) -starting the PC without the 980ti connected (system does post)

Is there anything I missed? Does anyone have any advice? He lives across the US so I can't provide any hands on help, so I'm hoping it's just something I can't see because I'm not there. He's going to ship it back to me so I can take a look this Thursday, so if anyone has any suggestions or thiughts I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

If it is a hybrid cooler, it is possible that the pump failed and the GPU core failed due to overheating. This seems especially the case as the system posted with other GPU's installed (I am assuming you tried different PCI-E slots if any). This would also explain the clicking as the card is sending a pulse to the DC pump and the coils are just locking in place. This is just one thought, but the issue is definitely isolated to the GPU.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your reply! I don't think it was the pump, temps never exceeded 50C in any of the instances before it crashed. His motherboard also only has one PCIe slot. When I spoke to him again, he said the clicking seemed to be coming from the PSU. I don't know if he just ran out of luck and had one PSU die, and then it's replacement be defective, or if there's a larger GPU problem. I want to say that maybe something isn't connected right, because the new PSU is fully modular. But it might just be wishful thinking on my part.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Try cleaning the GPU contacts with a soft white pencil eraser so they are shiny and not dull... making good contact is essential in some cases.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you! I will let him know!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube