add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

new ryzen cpu

seand03

1 month ago

Building a new gaming PC and wondering if I should wait for the new CPU's before committing to a CPU? In limbo a little as I really want my machine for the end of June.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

Quite honestly the CPU's that are out today are perfectly capable of gaming, a new Ryzen lineup will not cause them to become functionally redundant. It is tempting to jump on the hype train but even if the hype is true, the next gen Ryzen will not be a huge jump from what is out today. Gaming is one application that will not generously show off the improvements, whatever they may be....

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

This is so true.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

PCIE 4.0 hype train departing platform 4 in.. 1 month :P

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Exactly, today's GPU's don't even saturate PCIe 3.0. Unless AMD has something major up their sleeves the only thing that 4.0 will be good for will be storage data transfers. At least for the here and now.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I only just upgraded to a PCIE 3 motherboard late last year..

But I'm actually more excited about the data transfer rates and faster M.2 SSD speeds, but I won't be upgrading again until Zen 3 next year, at the earliest, so maybe they'll have PCIE 5 by then.. :P

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Would u say the same about the apu's? Since all that changes will be the clockspeed.

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

It probably won't too much of a difference for a gaming PC before after 7/7.

If you want 244Hz fps or otherwise extreme CPU performance, you will probably want a 5GHz Intel job (an i5K will probably be enough), otherwise you will be limited by your GPU and I'd grab a great deal on either first or second generation Ryzens (Newegg has an outrageous deal on a 2nd gen 8 core, Microcenter has dirt cheap 1st gens). If you want 12 cores or really expect to need 256bit AVX then the new AMD chips are for you, but that is more a streaming thing than for gaming.

If you want 4k@60Hz or 1440@120Hz, I wouldn't expect Navi to get there and you'll probably have to go with Nvidia before or after 7/7. Basically assume that Navi can't out-perform Vega (or not by much) and you choose both a monitor and GPU that fit your needs.

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

I would wait a week for gpu announcements.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I feel these new Ryzen chips, particularly the Ryzen 9, is going to make a bigger splash in content creation/workstation circles than gaming. As you rightly said, if you are rocking an i5/i7 or one of the Ryzen's you are pretty much set gaming wise, unless you fall in one of the niche corners such as 1080p/244Hz or Simulation type gaming which scale noticeably with cores/threads.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would be surprised if the 3900X did not beat the 9820X in both gaming and content creation. The 9820X is hardly a single thread powerhouse and requires some serious overclocking to get good numbers (I actually own the 9820X). On the other hand I would be surprised if the 3900X beats the 9900K in gaming by much, if indeed at all. If you have a good cooler you can gear the 9900K towards performing at or above 5GHz on all cores. Nothing I read suggests the 3900X is going to be clocked this high or boost this high on even a core or two. It is 50/50 if AMD have matched Intel's IPC, result, higher clock Speed on Intel = higher throughput (faster chip). When games start hogging more than around 8 threads then more cores / multiple threaded performance measures will be more impactful.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

At stock settings I think you might be right. Why would anyone buy a K series Intel and run at stock settings though? Stock is moot. 9900K with a good cooler can easily maintain 5GHz on all cores. Nothing I have read suggests that AMD have beaten Intel in terms of IPC (if they had this would be out there right now) and nothing I have read suggests that the AMD chips are going to be blazing away on all cores sustained boosts 5GHz plus. Result = hard to see how any of their chips could beat an i9-9900K in a gaming application outside of the few games where hyper/multi threaded performance and core counts matter more than single threaded performance. But these factors are ultimately unimportant. What is going to matter most is price. An 8 core 3700X that performs as well/ever so slightly better/or nearly as well as the i9-9900K for $200 cheaper, I wonder which one is going to sell more? I do not game at 1080p and have not done so in years so cannot comment much on whether the 5 or 6 fps more you get with one CPU is going to matter much. At the 4K resolution I prefer it almost seems like the CPU does not matter, Ryzen vs Intel, who cares..., eenie meenie miney mo .....

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Without independent verifiable benchmarks there really isn't a way of knowing if they live up to AMD's hype or not.

If You wait on benchmarks You won't have a PC till late July though.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Do it now - you can always upgrade the cpu and sell the old one in a year or two. If you wait because something better might come along soon, you might wait forever.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

True - might be some big price drops on older stuff too. I should have waited...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

thanks guys

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Wait till e3 is done. Only two weeks of wait or less.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Reviews are under NDA until 7/7 which is also the retail release.

Anything till then is going to be AMD making the 3000 look as good as they can and everything else even their own older CPU as bad as possible.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The old cpus were amazing so it’s sort of a win win.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

For gaming they fall short of amazing ever since Intel dropped the 9400f and retailers cut prices of the first generation R5/R7.

So they are beat both in performance and price to performance.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

I mean they are very solid and recommended so they are around great to amazing for what they can do and are. In my opinion at least.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

there alot less for more performance

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Definitely worth waiting..

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-3600-zen-2-cpu-benchmark-leak-crushes-coffee-lake-price-performance/

This is the BASE model of the new series. Plus you get PCIE 4, which means faster M.2 SSDs as well as GPUs in the near future.

Plus they're due out just a week after the end of June.

Of course, you'll probably have to 'upgrade' your motherboard to an X570 to take full advantage of everything..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube