add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Huge system lag after upgrade

TylerDurden76

8 months ago

Hi everybody! I just upgraded my motherboard, CPU and ram to end up with this configuration:

PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kDysdX)

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $279.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $166.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $139.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $114.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $57.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Green 1 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $42.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Western Digital - Green 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive -
Video Card Asus - Radeon R9 270X 2 GB DirectCU II Video Card -
Case Lian-Li - PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case $119.99 @ Newegg Business
Power Supply Corsair - RMx White 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $179.99 @ Corsair
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $119.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans $98.51 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans $98.51 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1568.33
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $1518.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-01 00:34 EDT-0400

After this upgrade, the system starts up and I can enter the BIOS. I can log into my microsoft account but then the screen goes dark and windows is very laggy. It takes 15 minutes to show the desktop and the PC is just unusable. I suspect a Ram incompatibility. I was wondering if I should try to upgrade the BIOS or simply change those ram sticks (which would be very sad 'cause I really like them). Do you have any suggestion? Thank you!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, I just discovered that the lag was caused not by a compatibility issue with the ram sticks, but by a faulty sata cable... Everything look fine now. Thank you!

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah a cable check is always the first thing to do with MB's. If it starts acting up again, consider a clean install of windows 10.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

It's funny you say that, 'cause at the end I had to reinstall Windows. I was unable to reactivate my copy (which is genuine of course) and the OS was acting weird. After two hours speaking with the Microsoft help desk's guys I had to purchase a new license for something around 30 $ because I don't have my Windows 7 product key anymore... It's very irritating, but you know... now everything is fine.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like you did a smart thing. If its running good now thats all that matters. In the long run that upgrade sucks to have to perform but ur gonna love that performance boost.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Still having problems: I cannot acces the Windows store and Windows update doesn't work. The help desk suggested me a clean install... I really didn't want to go that far, but I think it's the only option. Hope it will solve all the problems.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube