add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 5 2600x Overclock. Good MoBo?

PhdHigh
  • 10 months ago

I am very new to Overclocking and was wondering if it would be worth while to OC once I get my last 2 parts. I will be using a Ryzen 5 2600x with a EVGA GTX 1070 8gb FE. I plan on ordering G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8gb 3200mhz RAM. I was wondering what motherboard would best suit this, or even if it is viable to OC the CPU to try to get some better performance out of it. More or less, I just want to learn how to do it so I have that as an option later on when I finish my upgrade with a new case and PSU and Water cooling for my CPU.

On a side note, I was wondering if I got a Water cooling AIO for the Ryzen 5 2600x. If it would be viable for the upcoming Ryzen 3000 series if I plan to upgrade the Cpu in a couple years.

Any kind of advice and criticism is welcome. I am here to learn. :D

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It really isn't worth the effort to overclock a 2600X since unless it's a top 2% chip the stock boost clocks are going to outperform any all core overclock in most uses without the downsides of overclocking.

Also 3000 series isn't going to be around long AMD is replacing it next year with newer generations following yearly.

By the time that couple of years is up they will also be on a new socket.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, go figure for a new gen ever year then. So for what I have going, I want to be able to run the RAM at its 3200mhz speed. Would the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC be able to make use of the full speed of the RAM? I do know that sometimes 3200mhz will run at 2933mhz.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Better then even chance.

Problem with Ryzen is even if the memory runs at full speed the timings might not be properly supported so it is always best to work off of the QVL for the specific motherboard You are looking at.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I was wondering what motherboard would best suit this, or even if it is viable to OC the CPU to try to get some better performance out of it.

These modules (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) should run at 3200MHz (if overclocked) on the Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING board, but overclocking a 2600X wouldn't grand you any substantial performance over an stock 2600X running with the default PB2 speeds.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Is that MoBo better than the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC though?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

In relation to what?

If you look at additional board features, like USB 2.0/3.0 ports, fan headers and alike you can look at the manufacturers page of these boards in question.

In that price range though, both boards are decent.

The Asus is the cheaper board, but the MSI has a WiFi included.

So, you should choose according to your needs. :)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. Usually I am really good with these things but I just wanted a second opinion.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. :)

Also something to add,...a 6 core CPU doesn't pull that much power, so if you want still OC, i would advise to get the cheaper Ryzen 5 2600 that has a lower TDP rating, and with the remaining money purchase a good CPU cooler.

Because even the 2600X needs a proper cooling to get it to 4.0+GHz on all cores.

At the end, you will pay much more with an 2600X.

So, instead of this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $179.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $47.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $227.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-01 15:06 EDT-0400

...i would rather make it that way.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $145.78 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $47.89 @ OutletPC
Total $193.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-01 15:07 EDT-0400

Lastly, a R2600X may hit 4.0GHz on all cores at instances w/o an overclock.

And on that matter, you could just add a better cooler than the stock one, no OC and you will be more than fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $179.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Amazon
Total $204.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-01 15:10 EDT-0400
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have the Ryzen 5 2600x. I thought about investing into a stylish AIO cooler. My setup is more RGB and I like aesthetics. So I thought about saving up and watching the market for a NZXT or Corsair AIO cooler with RGB enabled. I use NZXT Cases so the front is made for a radiator. I was gonna upgrade to the NZXT 500i once I found one for reasonable price, but that won't be for awhile. Maybe even thought of getting a Lian Li case. But as I said that won't be for a good while. My current case is good enough.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you should focus on a couple of thing unless you want to toss money in the fire.

OC is easy as long as you have decent components... AIO or Fan cooling will give you about the same results unless you are trying to hit extreme OC figures (which I doubt). Focus #1: Get a MB that has very good VRM. 8+ Phases. Asus makes good MB but in the past they were criticized for their choice of 6 or even 4 phases. Asus BIOS makes OC very simple but a better VRM will provide better stability. Personally, I went to Gigabyte for my last build and they 12 phase VRM is rock solid... however, the BIOS.......UGH!

Focus #2: RAM... for Ryzen, get AMD RAM modules. G.Skill makes excellent memory modules but... Ryzen is twitchy when it comes to RAM. Getting approved QVL modules will allow you to run your memory at the OC speed advertised. Otherwise...YMMV.

Hope this helps a bit.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I have already looked at different MoBo for the phases. Also, I've already found a Samsung B-Die RAM kit G.Skill. Ryzen Cpus work best with high speed and especially with Samsung B-Die kits.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Then I think you're in business. Homework has been done... at this point it's pretty much a do-what-you-want thing for OC. Be careful for one thing... that bug does bite and bite hard it does.... meaning that you may develop a constant rash for optimizing the perf :)

Happy OCing

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU that he is goin to OC is a 2600x not a 9900K or something. Something equaly importent is VRM temps. Some of the asus and gigabyte boards have some really bad temps so I would stick with something like a msi b450 tomahawk or gaming pro carbon.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

VRM temp is important ... however with CPU fan cooling (as opposed to AIO) this isn't much of an issue. Also, VRM temps on a good quality board is mitigated to some extent... unless you're pushing 1.5V to the CPU...then you better get the nitrogen :)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I know the temps on the MSI B450 that I plan on getting are good. There isn't a large plastic shield that will hold head in but instead a big heatsink that they use.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube