add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Did I get a bad CPU? (Ryzen 2700x)

_Verz_
  • 8 months ago

Hi just finished my first build and everything is running smoothly but the 2700x is under performing for some reason. I have the wraith prism that came with it and running at stock speeds and in Cinebench r15 only got 1527 when I see it should be 1800-1900. Same in UserBenchmark where the single core score is standard but it gets a low score in multi core performance and is only 30th percentile for CPU bench.

I checked in RyzenMaster when running Cinebench and it showed that when all cores are engaged the speed goes down to 3.1-3.3 instead of the usual 3.7-4.0 and the temperature goes to 84c with fan engaged 100%. UserBenchmark software didn't stress the CPU to high temps but also report low score. What might be going on?

I've tried reapplying the paste, making sure the cooler is clamped all the way down, case cooling should be fine with 3 front intake and 2 exhausts. Also turned on PBO and SM and tuned RAM speed to max but see little gains. What else can I check to make sure that it's a bad CPU or some other factors?

The part list for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TqbRD2

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

This says max temp is 85C so yes your probably thermal throttling.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x

Things to check, cooler installed properly.

The motherboard could also be putting more voltage than needed to the processor making it run hot.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been reading up on undervolting which my MB does support but they change a whole bunch of other values too so need to further investigate. I'm probably gonna re-install the cooler again and see.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

If you reinstall the cooler you will need to remove and reapply the thermal paste. You did not stick the cooler down then remove it and install it again did you?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep I did, wiped the CPU and heatsink clean and reapplied to no avail.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Your definitely thermal throttling at those temps.

I never use the stock cooler for any of my PC's, I very much recommend you get a aftermarket cooler that far exceeds your needs.

On a side note, how do you have your case fans setup?

If you don't have good airflow through your case things are gonna get hot no matter how good your heatsync, paste and fans are...!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I got 3 120mm front intake fans and one 120mm rear exhaust and one more 120mm exhaust on top towards the back. Those temps are when I have an open case Without side panels. I’ve tweaked the fans settings and they help a bit but not much.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Go into the BIOS and tell us what your voltages are...

You may have to turn off auto and use a specified voltage.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay guys thanks for the help, I went back to the basics and focused on cooler installation and I figured it out last night. It was a sentence from an online review site which mentioned that for Wraith Prism the ideal thermal paste application should be that it's applied to the cooler base instead of the CPU- "Simply apply an even coat of thermal interface material across the base. Due to the voids between the heatpipes, other methods are not likely to yield good results." Yeah it's weird since I just saw pea or rice sized application from tutorials but maybe the grooves at the base of WP require this method. When it first came out of the box it did have a hefty but even amount of paste at the bottom covering the entire CPU shape so I should have known.

Now that I re-apply the paste like it should be I"m getting a lot better temps and scores, so at least I know I don't need to return the CPU, just debating whether I should switch to AIO since WP is kind of a pain to work with and loud.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Try a Scythe Mugen 5, or maybe a Thermalright Macho. The Mugen 5 will be quieter and should give a couple more degrees temp advantage. The Macho should as well, although I haven't heard one with my own ears.

Or, if you want to spend more money, put a Noctua NF-U12A on it.

[comment deleted]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I wiped the stock paste and used Corsair TM30 paste with grain of rice application. Clamped the cooler down tight and locked the lever mechanism making sure there's no wiggle room. Unless I messed some part of this process up big time, it's weird to lose 15-20% performance from following general paste and cooler installation procedures.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The type of paste is not really going to make but a couple C difference. Your not going to get nothing near 10C difference.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube