add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

TN or IPS?

aleriku

3 days ago

Hello! Yesterday my monitor broke and i need a new one. My PC got a 2060rtx and i mainly play MMO like wow, some single players games and some games like rocket league (no shooters). So with my preferences its better for me the IPS i think, am i right? I would like to 24" have good quality of colors and no input lag, because my old monitor had a lot of Stuttering problems.

Can spend around 250$, if u can recommend me any monitor would be nice, thanks.

Comments

• 2 days ago
  • 3 points

So with my preferences its better for me the IPS i think, am i right?

Well it's all subjective. Personally I prefer IPS over TN in all use cases. I mean TN is alright, I used them for years. My monitors at work are older TN panels, and that's fine. IPS is just nicer, and I just don't buy all the fuss about response times and input lag... and removing that baggage, for me it comes down to picture quality and IPS just wins and I'm willing to pay the IPS tax, so it's right for me.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the answer

• 2 days ago
  • 2 points

TN tends to be cheaper especially when it comes to higher refresh rates when compared to IPS. Due to how TN panels work they also have faster pixel response times too. They look good enough for gaming and often give the smoother gameplay because of higher refresh rates.

Downfalls tends to be not as good of viewing angles as IPS which really isn't a problem if you sit in front of your display facing it and IPS has better colour accuracy. Now WoW and Rocket League are games that don't have lifelike graphics so there is room for argument that colour accuracy of IPS over TN if it is really a big deal with those games and people can lean on either side of that fence. For movies and if you do content creation at all IPS really shines there.

Now if you don't mind 60hz on a display and can enjoy the game at 60 fps for the top fps then IPS makes a really good option or if you are doing work that demands colour accuracy then this type is a must. If you like 144hz then you need to decide if you are willing to take a TN display or fork out a ton of money on the IPS equivalent (well over your budget).

Also look into well reviewed freesync or gsync displays on whichever type you get. I know from experience with WoW with how the game engine works you WILL get FPS drops no matter how good your hardware is. 25 man raids, world bosses with hundreds of players on your screen, busy towns. etc will drop your FPS. Frame sync feature on the monitor is a great way to help mitigate that.

I got myself a new display earlier this year, an AOC G2590FX which is a 144hz freesync TN display for use with gaming. I did have to tune the colours to make it acceptable on that but the smoothness of 144hz on many of my games is pure awesome. Though I don't play many FPS games (I do play the doom series) high FPS displays really shine in FPS for allowing you to better react to what is going on. I wanted 144hz but didn't want to pay the IPS cost premium for 144hz.

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your answer, i would like to know your opinion of VA monitors, because i saw this MSI MAG241C with very good opinions

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

VA is more of an inbetween on the pros and cons for TN vs IPS through the actual response times of the pixels is slower than IPS.

Here is a simple video to show the differences in the technology: https://youtu.be/JIu5hBTYTqg

After looking at some reviews on the MSI MAG241C it seems to have a good number of positive reviews but blurry text seems to be a common thing I see in the comments of reviews. It has freesync so that is a bonus but the freesync range in the specs is not the best. The range seems to be 48-144fps for the range so as long as the FPS output if your game is within that then the video should appear smooth and have no tearing. The display I got is around 30-144fps on the range. I have seen much worse where the low end was 60fps so it isn't terrible.

• 21 hours ago
  • 1 point

Wow thanks, didnt know about the blurry text and thats something that i dont like... So theres any way to fix that blurry text? Its a big problem? Should i go for a good IPS (no bleeding) instead? Thanks for all

• 8 hours ago
  • 1 point

Well considering your budget you need to figure out what FPS target you want (also depends how good your PC is). If you really want 144hz then get a TN panel. If you don't mind 60hz then get a IPS panel.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

i have two Dell U2415's and i rather like them, they have good color and i haven't noticed any input lag

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

That monitor got a square form right? do you like that?

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

they're 1920x1200, so they aren't square, if that's what you mean

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

It's a 16:10 ratio instead of the more common 16:9. So it's a little more square than the usual.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

Okay ill check it! thanks both of you

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

There's a new monitor on the market that's getting some good reviews.

This Pixio includes a decent IPS panel with a semi-high refresh rate. It's slightly over budget, but the reviews I've been seeing, especially after at least using the on screen controls to do some calibration, make me think it's worth the few extra bucks over the other slightly cheaper 75Hz IPS panels.

Like GRRM, I prefer IPS. If you played more fast paced games, I'd be more inclined to recommend TN. As it is, I'd say a nice 144Hz VA or a 75/95Hz IPS would be pretty nice at that budget.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube