add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What should I upgrade first? CPU or GPU (i5-6500 and gtx 1060 6gb)

Dan_Roman47

5 months ago

Should I upgrade my cpu to an i7, or should I try to get a new graphics card? My budget is $350.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd say neither as well. You're GPU is fine but for the prices of used Intel CPUs you might as well start thinking about a platform update and keeping the GPU

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

weirdly, I'm going to say none.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the motivation for upgrading? Do you have a specific slowdown issue (gaming fps, or move to higher resolution, or whatever), or are you just looking for "better"?

Either way, I suspect you aren't going to get much relief from a CPU upgrade. You'll probably have to replace at least mobo and CPU, and possibly memory depending on what you have. If you're at 8 GB memory and running short, put your money there. If you have no SSD, get one. If you're upgrading resolution to 1440p, you'll want to change out the GPU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube