add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I upgrade to 3700X

happiehappie

5 days ago

Hello guys, This is my build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CPR2cY Was wondering if I should upgrade my processor to Ryzen 3700X to keep up with my Radeon VII better on my X470 mobo?

Comments

• 5 days ago
  • 8 points

The issue is not about "keeping up with" a GPU... That's a pointless endeavor as it doesn't directly solve a problem. Something is always the limiting factor in a build and that varies from workload to workload, from game to game. Don't go chasing solutions to "problems" that are actually just misconceptions.

Concern yourself with whether or not the 2600X is delivering a performance floor that meets your expectations. This would apply whether you were using an RX 570 or an RTX 2080Ti.

Are you dropping below your performance goals on a regular basis and have reason to believe the CPU is the limiting factor? If so... then a CPU upgrade may help, but the margins may not be enough to bother. From a 2600X to a 3700X, both running stock clocks, I might expect something like a 10-20% improvement in CPU bound FPS depending on the game. Is that enough to get over the threshold of your performance goals? Is it enough to be worth it? There's a very real likelihood here that the 9700K is still going to prove to be a better high-FPS gaming CPU than the Ryzen 3000 series. Perhaps you should wait for reviews/benchmarks, and then see what direction makes the most sense at that time.

My advise, if gaming is your primary concern.. Wait for next generation Intel stuff to launch and see how things are shaping up. The 2600X should be perfectly functional for a good gaming experience for many more years.

• 5 days ago
  • 3 points

Wait to see benchmarks would make the most sense. Can then make your decision.

Have you got the system already? If so you can likely get an understanding of what is any limit is in play during usage yourself looking at the stats.

• 5 days ago
  • 3 points

Wait for the benchmarks. Who knows at the moment and how well they will run on an older motherboard.

• 5 days ago
  • 2 points

No reason to start seriously considering upgrading before a product has even released.

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

Current primary game now is Final Fantasy 14. I have the system since Feb. my current statistic in the game is as follows for max settings Average frame rate 89.38303 Minimum frame rate 39

Just wondering if bumping to 3700X will help me utilize my FPS more since my display is 1440p 144hz

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

probably not. reason is that the FPS range is well within the capabilities of the 2700X. for actual high framerate tasks (say, greater than 120 FPS), you might see an improvement moving to a better CPU, but we have basically no real benchmarks for the 3700X (or really any Ryzen 3000 CPU right now). if you get averages in the 90 range, i would say you are most probably limited by the Graphics card anyway. I mean, you are playing at 1440p and on maximum settings. its a great GPU, but i mean, ideally, this game is not going to achieve super high frames at those settings on that card at that resolution anyway. tone it down to 1080p and/or lower settings to get a higher Framerate or upgrade the graphics card (at least i can tell you somewhat what to expect if you did that). your only real upgrade is a 2080 ti or better. you will probably see higher framerates if you upgrade your card. i very much doubt the 2700X is bottlenecking the Radeon VII to those 90ish average frames unless the game itself is particularly heavy on the CPU already. If i were you, i would use something like MSI afterburner to see actual GPU and CPU usage in real time to determine if there is a CPU bottleneck at all for your framerate. a good indicator would be 100% CPU usage and lesser GPU usage. a visual indicator is usually stuttering and frame drops. good luck and i hope you find the solution you are after.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

Turn down the graphics detail and see if you minimum frame rate bounces up, or stays the same. If it comes up then you don't have a CPU limitation, you have a GPU limitation. If your minimums stay low even at low graphics settings, then maybe a CPU boost will help a bit. Then the question becomes whether it's a thread / core-count limitation or a single thread speed limitation, and I don't know enough about the FF14 engine to say.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

i think it might be limited by the CPU, as i am running a 7700k and a 1080 ti but i get 140-165 fps at 1440p on max/ultra settings on FF14 currently

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube