add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Picking mechanical switches

Griffo123

6 months ago

Hi,

So I currently have a Razer ornata keyboard and I like the switches (mecha-membrane) but I want to get a smaller keyboard to give me some more real estate on my desk.

Are the an equivalent of these razer switches in cherry mx form?

Thanks

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I know I'm late to this party and all, but I've recently got my hands on the Anne Pro 2 (60%, bluetooth/wired, RGB keyboard) with Gateron Brown switches.

I don't know if it's the switches themselves, or some form of stabilizer that Obinslab uses on the board, but I absolutely love it.

I've had Cherry MX Blues (very clicky), and SteelSeries QX2s (essentially an MX Red clone I believe - ultra sensative), and I've been enjoying the Gateron Browns the most, by far.

Gaming over Bluetooth isn't ideal. At times there is noticeable input lag, but it's absolutely fine while wired.

It's (supposed to be) primarily a work keyboard via Bluetooth to my laptop, but I find myself grabbing the USB cord, and connecting it to my desktop for gaming sessions as well. FWIW the bluetooth on it has been functioning fine for work purposes, no complaints on this board at all other than I didn't get it when I built my machine originally.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Still undecided but either TKL or 60%. I'm just looking for something with a similar feel to my current one. Do you have any recommendations?

So should I be looking at cherry browns with O-rings?

Thanks

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The tactile response in cherry browns is extremely low / light. Once you get used to typing on them, and break them in a bit, it's barely noticeable at all. However, no purely tactile switch is going to give you a "click" that you have with your current board. MX blues would be close, but you might really like Kalih Box Whites. Before spending anything on a keyboard, I would highly recommend you buy a switch tester. Can find them on amazon.

Also, you don't have to limit yourself necessarily to cherry brand, as there are MANY clones that many think are actually better than cherry.

Another option would be to buy yourself a hotswappable keyboard (where you can just plug in and remove switches easily) so you can try them out without having to buy entire boards. GMMK makes a pretty good one in 60% and TKL, and the barebones one (without switches / keycaps) is about $60-$70 depending on where you get it from.

r/mechanicalkeyboards is a great community, and they are generally very helpful. This buyers guide is SUPER helpful for people just getting into the mechanical keyboard world -- https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/buying_guide

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

This website was very helpful thank you. I'm still thinking I should go with the Cherry MX Brown switches as I went to my local PC store and they had a switch tester and they seemed the closest. Also there are so many boards with these switches it gives me more to choose from in regards to style ect.

Having said that, I did a bit of research into those Kahil Box Whites and they seemed amazing to me. Only issue is availbablity and the added cost of buying and replacing switches. Do you know of a board that has these in already?

Thanks again for your help :D

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Cherry browns are a very popular switch to start off with. My first board had browns, and I still use that board a ton to this day. Great place to start, but over time I felt they were just a little too light for my tastes.

Yeah that's the problem with box whites--you can't find too many boards with them installed out of the gate. You can get an Anne Pro 2 (60%) board off of flashquark.com with them for around $75-$80.

I would really strongly suggest getting a GMMK TKL as your first board, and just ordering it with whatever switches you'd like to try first. Pretty sure you can order it with box whites if you order direct through GMMK's website. I think they are on backorder there, but you should be able to get one through mechanicalkeyboards.com. Also don't forget to order keycaps (can get them when you order the GMMK or through amazon).

Hotswappable boards are honestly the best place to start, as it lets you buy any switches you want to test them out before you drop $100+ on a board with soldered switches. The GMMK's build is surprisingly solid for the price, and it is SUPER simple (and kind of fun) to swamp out switches. Also has per-key RGB if that's something you want. You can order switches through novelkeys.com, mechanicalkeyboards.com, drop.com, and a number of other sites. Usually can get around 100 gateron / cherry / kalih switches for $35-$50.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the reply but as IForgotMyPassword said I'm using mecha-membrane switches atm. This is really helpful either way though :))

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! I love typing/gaming with this that's why I'm trying to find a close match but in a smaller keyboard :D I went to my local PC store and they have a Corsair Cherry MX switch tester and the browns seemed to be the closest. I'll probably go with them.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube