add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi Double Post?

True_Noob

8 months ago

Hey guys I have question for you pros on here.

I dont really know anything about overclocking but I wanted to see if I could set my Corsiar Dominator Platinum on a XMP 1 or 2 profile in my mobo bios. Everything is pretty much set to default, I have set it to the first XMP 1 profile and saved it. Well my rig restarted with no issues at all, did my thing and shut it down for the night.

The next morning went to turn on my rig and it did a weird thing, it did a double post thing. It started up for about a 2 seconds and turn off for another 2 seconds and started up normally.

I am wondering if this is normal when you put it on a XMP profile, will this harm my rig if I just leave it like that?

I have been reading a few threads but really can not get a right answer on the ROG forums, I have turned off Memok on my mobo and at the moment have it set on XMP 1.

So I figured I would ask you Pro's for some help since I really got alot of help and answers from you guys when I finally decided to build my rig.

Thanks in advance guys.

Rog Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) i7 9700k Corsair DP 32GB 3000MHz

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Completely normal! The controller requires a double start to fully initialize the timings after power has been removed.

XMP I is the validated board profile that you will have seen on past generations. Every time a board is validated, this profile is the one used by the memory vendor and ASUS. On your current board, there is now the option to use the DIMM profile which is XMP II. These settings are not validated, so mileage will vary depending on the kit and CPU.

XMP I - Board optimised timings

XMP II - Default XMP timings

Often, XMP II timings will be slightly looser depending on the memory kit. If you check within the UEFI or memtweakit, you'll see a difference in memory subsets.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey man thank you so much for the explanation on this. Ok cool will leave it on XMP I, I thought by doing a double post it would harm my rig, glad that this is normal.

My CPU is a Intel i7-9700K @3.60GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum 32Gb 2x16GB 3000HZ 15-17-17-35 1.35V

Thank s again Transit_75

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Your welcome :)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

This is not true! All the settings are saved and the motherboard battery keeps the board powered so no BIOS changes are made when the PC is powered off.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Zerk2012, all of your comments are correct but this topic isn't about the OP starting their PC from cold and dark and finding the BIOS settings somehow changed on their own. This is about the OP making those XMP changes manually and querying about the reasons for a double POST the following day.
XMP II may cause the double starts with some RAM kits and in others it will not. Mileage may vary from kit to kit because those timings (XMP II) are NOT Validated.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube