add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

4770k excessive thermals

asesnic
  • 8 months ago

A few days ago I noticed some excessively high temperatures on my 4770k (60 ish during idle). This happened after, remembering that my software to control my H100i was out of date, I downloaded the latest Corsair iCUE. This came as a surprise to me, even with all of the settings for pump and fan speeds set to the most aggressive profiles, my CPU temperatures at idle were still through the roof. Thinking it might be an issue with old thermal paste, I replaced the thermal paste on the IHS as well as delidded my CPU and replaced the thermal compound with Arctic Silver 5. Hoping that solved the issue, I booted up and noted that my thermals were still just as bad, and after a few minutes at idle the temperatures were in the 70-80 range. Note this is without any overclock. I also noticed that the fluid temperature in my cooler was 56 or so. Thinking I may have a bad pump, I had-checked the temperature of each hose to find one is significantly cooler, indicating that the pump was indeed circulating fluid. I also considered that I might have mounted the cooler poorly, but that wouldn't explain why so much heat was being transferred to the H100i.

So I'm kind of at a loss for what to do... why is my 4770k running so hot?

Edit: just tried re-flashing my BIOS and the temps at idle are still 70-80.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

This happened after, remembering that my software to control my H100i was out of date, I downloaded the latest Corsair iCUE

Their a good saying if it's not broke don't fix it.

Uninstall the new software and reinstall the older version you had. Deliding with artic 5 was not a good Idea.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube