add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Setting ram speed

Krissyneillie1
  • 8 months ago

Hi guys I just built my pc, it's a b450 tomahawk and corsair 16gb 3000mhz ddr4 ram, I've went into advanced settings in the bios and set the speed to 3000mhz, as soon as I do that I can hear the fans ramping up, is this normal? Also when I set it to that speed and read data from cpuid its still showing low speeds, bios settings are fairly new to me

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you do this using XMP?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

That's in bios advanced settings right? I seen something about xmp, I'm very new to touching bios settings, I went into overclocking and noticed the speed was set at 2133, I changed it to 3000 and could hear the fan speed up, assuming it was the cpu fan as all the case fans are 3 pin

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

More than likely although I'm not familiar with your exact motherboard. It sounds like to me that you started a manual overclock but only adjusted the speed with could be interfering with other stuff.

You might consider resetting your BIOS to default settings, find XMP, set XMP which should automatically choose 3000mhz and then boot into the OS making sure everything is stable.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need advanced settings to set the auto-configured XMP profile (which also configures your dram voltage as recommended by memory manufacturer). Checking your saved part lists, im assuming you have a MSI B450......as soon as you post into BIOS, the XMP toggle option should show on the top left.

Advanced settings are preferred if you fancy fine-tuning/overclocking RAM frequencies (although not necessary).

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

hi thanks for the reply been busy past few days, yes i set that to 2 and the ram will change to whatever its set at, when i put it to 3000mhz the cpu fan speeds up, i have a video but cant seem to post here

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube