add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Threadripper 2950X + 64GB + RTX 2080 Ti - It seems something is not right

leoizzo
  • 8 months ago

Hello guys,

I have a tricky question here. I built my first desktop November 2018. A very close friend of mine helped me building and he did a great job. I saved a couple thousand dollars and I bought everything that I really wanted: Threadripper + TX 2080 TI + 64GB memory + M2. 2280 + Kraken 72x etc. Basically I do a lot of live streaming using the new Elgato 4K Capture Card (Straight from both my Xbox and PS4). Also I'm a video and 3D maker and combining everything together I'm pretty sure this is a great desktop.

But It seems there's something ODD happening and I'd like to list here to see if anyone can help me or either tell me if I have to rebuild this computer.

• First issue: computer takes almost 30s to wake up or power up. Normally when I don't need to work on computer anymore I just put to sleep. When I press my keyboard and all leds/fans/parts inside the computer turns on It takes around 30s to see the Windows login screen. Is that normal?

• As I mentioned I make a lot of videos/3D and I'm not sure about the rendering time. A 15 minute vídeo takes about 10 minutes to render. 3D animations takes waaaaaaaaaaay more. Is that normal?

• There's a couple other tasks that I do on the computer and I believe it's taking more than normal: Chrome runs slow (I know but It's too much), Some apps are running slow etc.

• After using the Elgato 4K for like 60 to 90 minutes the capture starts having a weird behave: It seems the capture card shuts down and reboots. I lost my video for like 5s, black screen. Let's say I use my Xbox One X (4K and HDR activated), One HDMI cable from Xbox to Elgato, so I can at least see the image on my computer application. Then a second HDMI cable from Elgato to my 4K HDR monitor so I can play the game with no delay. After 60-90 minutes I start to get black screen on both Elgato computer App and my monitor. This is not the end of the word for me. Since I deactivated HDR from both Xbox and Elgato APP, I don't see the issue, BUT, still I want to play using the best picture.

Overall I'm really mostly concerned about my computer speed/processing time that It seems to be taking more than normal for this kind of machine.

Thank you guys and sorry for my English.

Link to specs https://pcpartpicker.com/user/leoizzo/saved/rZXLD3

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

I'd download a good hardware monitor like hwinfo64 and make sure your CPU and GPU temperatures are OK under load. It will also tell you what speed your memory is running at.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tip buddy. I'm installing hwinfo64 right now.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

I agree with kschendel. Check your temps. Your case is beautifully, but looks like it has almost no airflow.

First issue: computer takes almost 30s to wake up or power up. Normally when I don't need to work on computer anymore I just put to sleep. When I press my keyboard and all leds/fans/parts inside the computer turns on It takes around 30s to see the Windows login screen. Is that normal?

With X399 supporting ECC memory your boot times will be a bit longer. As far as sleep, there are issues with windows and Threadripper and sleep mode. It night be better not to use it right now.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks buddy appreciate your time. Checking that

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Are you running the rendering software on the m2? if its running on the spinner that could be why you feel its running slow...

Additionally are your settings configured for your hardware? Also is GPU acceleration set up?

I am guessing your boot drive is the m2. I use the same one and it wakes from sleep to Windows login in 5 to 10 seconds (different cpu tho)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I'm running all my Apps and softwares through my M2. Talking about the settings for your hardware and GPU acceleration could you tell me how to check that?

Thanks for your time buddy!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

settings inside each app/software would be the only way I know how to check.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube