add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Seeking solutions to the extremely short Bluetooth range of my PC

JohnnyWai

7 months ago

I will try to describe my problem as clean/short as possible. Basically the problem is that my PC have extremely short bluetooth detection range (have to put the items right on top of my PC to make it detect). It is probably due to me putting it below my desk(which is quite a confined space), but my room is so small that I don't have a second choice for placement.

To clarify, I checked the Z390 AORUS ULTRA board my PC uses does have 5.0 bluetooth support, and my bluetooth devices that I am trying to connect to my PC do support that also. It's also not bluetooth driver errors or anything, since they connect just fine at said extremely short range.

So, the question is what can i do to extend my computer's bluetooth detection range? I am not sure what exactly are the differences when they talk about bluetooth adapter/receiver/extender etc. It would be great if someone could explain the exact device/tool that I need in this situation.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Having just started using the BT adapter on my Z390 Ultra, I'd suggest installing the wifi antenna. You might also (unsure) get better results if you update your BT adapter drivers, but if you don't already have the wifi antenna installed, I strongly recommend it.

My Anne Pro 2 struggles to connect a couple feet away if the antenna is not connected. With it connected, the keyboard is detected (usually) within a second or two.

This could be some bro-science, but I've also found that moving my cell phone away from my BT devices tends to help with connection.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Say I have a USB hub with a long cable, I can utilize this long cable and put the USB hub right on my desk and plug in the BT adapter to said USB hub(which is plugged into my PC of course). Would that solve the problem?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean... maybe? If there is a USB bluetooth adapter you're using, it's no longer the AORUS Ultra's bluetooth you're trying to connect to.

I use no adapter to connect my BT keyboard to either of my machines (laptop/desktop). If you have your motherboard BT enabled and are using a USB adapter, I suppose they could be interfering with each other.

If you're going to try and use your motherboard Bluetooth, again, I recommend updating your drivers, and installing the WIFI antenna on the back, these definitely impacted my Bluetooth range.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

My computer is under my desk, with the desk drawer just 12 cm above the pc, I am not sure how will I would put an antenna on it. I don't really care about whether I am using the motherboard bluetooth or not at this point, as long as the solution would not have any significant audio latency when connected to my earphone.

If using a BT adapter is a valid solution to this range problem, then I will go buy one in a couple of days.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

FWIW, the included antenna is magnetic. I find it somewhat ugly, so I just stuck it to the back of my case so that it remains more or less out of sight. Even with 12CM above the case you could just lay it flat on top of the case and it'd do the trick, it's only about 2cm in THICC-ness.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube