add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ASUS Prime z390-a mobo can't pass DRAM led light

zebanaya
  • 8 months ago

I'm having some real trouble finishing up my build (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zebanaya/saved/#view=VRFK4D).

When attempting to boot, my mobo doesn't reach POST because of a DRAM failure somehow. To troubleshoot I've taken it all apart and i'm only powering the mobo with one stick of RAM in A-2 and m.2 storage. I've removed the CPU to check for bent pins and I do not see any. When I replace the CPU and remove the ram I get the "no ram present" beeping sequence as expected. When I replace the ram I just get a solid DRAM led. Both sticks of RAM have the same effect. What am I missing here?

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Try one stick at a time in each slot.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

For your motherboard you have a "MemOk" switch. If should have been set to on when you got the board. Turn it off, you may also have to clear you CMOS by using the jumper or removing the battery.

With the MemOk switch on your board is trying to set the best profile for you ram automatically. Since your RAM in not on the approved list, the board maybe having issues with this. So turn MemOk off.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I had something similar happen on a Maximus VIII Hero board and a 16gb kit of the Corsair Vengeance memory. The funny thing was I had the memory in the system beforehand. The issue ultimately was having MRC Fastboot enabled.

If you were to contact Asus, the first thing they'll tell you to do is clear the CMOS and try again. The second thing they'll tell you is to try 1 stick in each slot and then the Mem OK button.

The Mem OK button sequence can take a long time to work.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube