add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

setting fan curves (noob)

Krissyneillie1

7 months ago

hello, ive just purchased myself 4 fans for my meshify c case, i know how to set the curves through the bios (b450 tomahawk), i don't know what i should be setting those curves at or what a general curve will look like

i have 2 x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM and 2 x 120mm Noctua NF-F12 PWM

140 for intake and 120 for exhaust, rear and top

my aim is to keep the temps cool inside and to help keep the GPU cool (sapphire rx580 8gb nitro+), ive also bought a mugen 5 CPU cooler which should help keep the CPU cool (ryzen 5 2600x), i basically just want to set something up that will maintain cool air in and hot out as i feel like im constantly looking at temps with my current setup, ive seen both the GPU and CPU hit 70c upwards and whilst that's still generally ok id like to keep it below that, any ideas on any sort of curves i should be looking at?, should i run the fans on smart mode within the bios as well?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

A lot of it is trial and error, and I'm not sure what the MSI mobo has built into the BIOS. As a rough guide, though, I'd set the case and CPU cooler fans to be spinning but inaudible (or close to it) at idle; at around 50C temps start bringing them up to maybe 50% or more if it's quiet enough, and starting around 60-65C you'll want to ramp them up to max fairly quickly. If you're sensitive to fans ramping up and down, you might want more of a straight line; if that doesn't bother you, a middle plateau with the best noise vs temps compromise might work best.

You'll also have to decide which temperature sensor(s) to tie the fan curves to, and that's going to depend on which sensors actually react to loads. On my build, I have all but one of the fans tied to CPU Tctrl because the motherboard temp sensor moves very slowly. Other boards act differently.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube