add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer is turning on but now showing anything on monitor

303cjm

7 months ago

Hi, I just recently purchased this build and was having some trouble with it. I assembled the entire build. However, the pc will start up but not show anything on the monitor. I made sure that the SSD and motherboard cables are correctly connected, I tried rotating the RAM into all possible slots that it can fit in to, I removed the video card and attempted to start up the computer without the video card, still nothing. Upon examing the part list on here, it seems that the motherboard listed is not compatible with DDR-3000 RAM, which is the RAM that is listed on this site.

Do you think that I should return the RAM in exchange for one that might be compatible with the motherboard? Or do you think that there is another issue that I have not tried yet that might be helpful for my situation? Thank you.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Placing a part list here, reflecting from the previous link you provided.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $169.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $129.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard *ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $113.98 @ Newegg
Memory *Team - T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $56.99 @ Newegg
Storage *Drevo - X1 Pro 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Storage *Seagate - Constellation CS ISE 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card *MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB DUKE OCV1 Video Card $459.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair - SPEC-06 ATX Mid Tower Case $80.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply *EVGA - 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $87.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1304.59
Mail-in rebates -$105.00
Total $1199.59
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-02 23:34 EDT-0400

Hi, I just recently purchased this build and was having some trouble with it. I assembled the entire build. However, the pc will start up but not show anything on the monitor.

Are you making sure you are connecting your video cable to your graphics card and not the motherboard? The Ryzen 5 2600X does not have integrated graphics so this requires a dedicated graphics card to a video output to the monitor. The RTX 2070's HDMI or Displayport or both if using more than one monitor.

I made sure that the SSD and motherboard cables are correctly connected, I tried rotating the RAM into all possible slots that it can fit in to, I removed the video card and attempted to start up the computer without the video card, still nothing. Upon examing the part list on here, it seems that the motherboard listed is not compatible with DDR-3000 RAM, which is the RAM that is listed on this site.

Well I cannot explain why sometimes the RAM speeds can be missing info on PCPP from time to time; However, going directly to the motherboard's manufacturer webpage shows that it can support up to 3000MHz (and 3466MHz+) but it does clarify what single channel between dual channel format and which Ryzen series supports up to.

Do you think that I should return the RAM in exchange for one that might be compatible with the motherboard? Or do you think that there is another issue that I have not tried yet that might be helpful for my situation? Thank you.

Well it's hard to say until there's a confirmation if you are connecting your video cable, assuming HDMI or Displayport to the video card, the RTX 2070 or whatever that video card is. Plus what you briefly described, the PC is powering ON, but no further explaination if it remains powered ON but just no video output displaying on the monitor. Could be a possible miss connection to a component or an incompatibility between a faulty SSD/RAM/PSU/MOBO/CPU. A bit too hard to say until a little further clarification with your scenario result with the computer's powering process between the monitor.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your quick response! I have tried connecting my PC to the video card, but there is still nothing displaying on the monitor. I didn't buy the video card that was listed above. I bought the ASUS Republic of Gamers Strix OC GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics Card, the link for the video card is here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1267096-REG/asus_strix_gtx1060_o6g_gaming_republic_of_gamers_strix.html . The video card did come with a disk that contains some software for the video card. Do you think it would be worthwhile installing whatever is on the disk? I appreciate it!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Hm... make sure there's no PCIe protector on the GPU. Sometimes people forget the silicon/plastic protector on the GPU that connects to the PCIex16 slot. So your PC is remaining ON correct, just GPU isn't responding?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Correct, the fans on the GPU are running but nothing is showing up on the monitor. The computer is on and parts are moving in the computer, but nothing is showing up on the screen.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I have worked on that video card before for my uncle's workstation PC. Is the PCI-E 8-pin connected all the way in to the GPU? Or have you tried reinstalling the GPU?

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Hi! I really appreciate you helping me out with this. After doing some more research and talking with some other people who build their own computers, I found out that I accidentally ordered the wrong RAM. The type of RAM that I purchased was not compatible with a Ryzen processor. I was recommended by a person that builds his own PC's to buy this RAM instead: https://www.newegg.com/geil-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820158755 . He told me that it is compatible with the motherboard.

The RAM arrived today, and after connecting it to the motherboard, I am still experiencing the same problem. All of the parts are moving, everything has power, but there is no signal being connected to the monitor. I attempted to plug it into both the motherboard and the video card, just like last time. I attempted changing the position of the RAM cards into every possible position. Just to make sure, I checked to see that every cable was connected correctly. Still, there is no signal on the monitor.

I think that the only possible situation now would have to be that something is physically broken or shorted out. Again I really appreciate you helping me out with this, and any advice on what to do next would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

What is a "pci protector"? My card didnt have anything on the PCIE output

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Some type of silicon/plastic protector that is a temporary cover over the GPU's pins that is intended to be connected to the PCIEx16 slot from the motherboard. I cannot say what the latest Radeons do because it's been a while since I had one but new NVIDIA GPUs tend to have these. Unless used GPUs then sometimes those aren't there. And sorry for my confusion. I rush typed and had to head out to town.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube