add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Lightning Damage

L4424
  • 7 months ago

Well I screwed up, unplugged PC for storm, forgot about ethernet cable.

This is my first tower, so first time trying to repair. Ive tested the psu, it works outside the case but not hooked into the mb. I have also unplugged everything from the motherboard except the psu and still nothing. No lights, beeps, or fans. With my very limited knowledge im assuming the motherboard and the cpu are fried atleast. Have also tried diff power cables to the case.

What is the best way to go about fixing this? Is there a way to know the extent of the damage before replacing parts bit by bit? Im hesitant to do this because if the majority of the parts are fried id prefer to upgrade vs replace.

~Thanks

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The mobo is probably dead. Whether anything else is bad is impossible to say; the cpu might be fine or toast.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube