add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which CPU/MOBO not overclocking?

Dderrow
  • 7 months ago

My question is I have no desire to overclock my cpu. Would I be better off getting a I7-9700 non k version and is that stock cooler any good? Or get a I7-9700k with an air cooler? Trying to keep my budget tight, I can afford either option. Also does the non k version need a z390 board?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Non "K" will work fine on a B365 You will just be limited in memory clock speeds.

And I would replace the stock cooler on everything these days even things like AMD's Prism cooler are beat by $15-$20 coolers across the board.

Z390 and 9700K will hold resale value longer being unlocked and close to the top models.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Non "K" will work fine on a B365

Well that depends. If the OP get his hands on the later Intel stepping (R0) processors, they may or may not not work on a B365 board. (if it relies on an older batch)

And that applies to a Z390 board as well.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

9700 was always the R0 stepping.

It was only the earliest 9th Gen models that didn't get the full exploit fixed/reused 8th Gen silicon.

It's why B365 took so long to market after it launched Intel was holding back chipsets until they had the new production runs ready.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

But still earlier BIOSes doesn't support that (R0) stepping CPU.

At least that's the case with a random board that i picked up.

https://imgur.com/wgx87Tv

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

On the Z390 sure.

That's why I didn't mention Z390 with the 9700.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh! OK. lol

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You could very well get a i7-8700. it's a bit cheaper.

A i7-9700 works even on a B360 board, but the BIOS version still counts to get it to work.

You would be better if you use a Z390 board on that matter.

...and is that stock cooler any good?

Well, i would buy an after market one. Doesn't cost much really. $20 are enough.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome :)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Quick suggestion - you can buy a K series and not overclock. It is a misnomer to suggest that you only buy K if you intend to overclock. At stock settings the K does indeed outperform the non K by a few percent. Caveat - higher cost. Positive - easier to resell when moving chipsets.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

if your not going to overclock why not get a ryzen third generation cpu?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube