add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows randomly freezing

asesnic
  • 7 months ago

I've been having some extremely frustrating issues with my new PC. While I'm using it, applications as well as Windows itself randomly freeze up and stop responding. The only way to get out of it is to force shut down and boot back to the OS. I first noticed this when I was several hours into CFD simulations and it simply froze. The UI would gradually become less responsive before freezing altogether. Now it is happening under extremely light loads, such as using Chrome. Note that the CPU is running at stock. Additionally, I had to play with the RAM. Out of the box it was running at 2133MHz instead of the rated 3200MHz. After some discussions with Gigabyte, I adjusted my timings and disabled XMP, and got my RAM running at 2933MHz. Thinking this might be a RAM stability issue, I increased RAM voltage to 1.35V and increased my timings a little bit. Still, I see these issues. I ran memtest for a few hours and it encountered 1 error, but I'm not sure what that really tells me. Any help is much appreciated!

Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/asesnic/saved/#view=jmBq3C

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube