add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I need a graphics card?

ben.aris84
  • 7 months ago

Hi team, I've just completed my build, switched it on and have no signal. I've read that the Ryzen 5 2600 does not have integrated graphics, but the motherboard, asrock b450m-hdv does. I'm fairly inexperienced, so bear with me. Does that mean I'm not getting a signal to my monitor because the CPU doesn't support it? And to fix the issue I just need to buy a graphics card?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Should have mentioned, there is power running as the fans kick in, power lights are on. However, I do hear 5 beeps on start up, which is apparently a process error.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Correct. There's no integrated graphics on the 2600. The motherboard video connection is just there to get the signal from the CPU chip to the back of the computer, for those CPU's that do have integrated graphics (2200G, 2400G, etc). Yes, you'll need to buy a graphics card and then plus your monitor into the graphics card.

If you just need video, as for a server, a cheap GT 710 would do. If you are going to use the machine as a web/office machine, something like a GT 1030 or RX 550/560 is fine. For gaming you'll want anywhere from an RX 570 on up, depending on your goals (gaming resolution, fps, type of game, etc etc).

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

As kschendel said, you do need a graphics card to work with that setup. If you are going to be gaming you will probably want the power of a separate card anyway. If you are just using it for watching youtube/internet browsing then you could also see if you can exchange the CPU for a 2200G/2400G.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, thanks for your help guys, that really clears things up. Guess I missed the bit on the box that clearly stated the fact.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube