add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bottleneck with I7-4820K and MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1660?

cougartrace

7 months ago

Hi all,

I have an old rig that I just want to upgrade the GPU. It's only for 1080p gaming. The CPU is an I7-4820K. Wanting to know if I put in a MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 GPU will there be a bottleneck?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

There will always be a bottleneck somewhere.

If your current GPU isn't putting out the graphical fidelity you want, or is pegged at 100% all the time, then upgrade your GPU and don't look back.

The i7-4820k is getting older (Ivy Bridge-E) but is still a reasonably strong chip. If your demands are just 60fps and if needed turn down some CPU intensive settings, you should be just fine.

If you are looking to max out a heavily multithreaded title or minimize turn times in Civ or something you may want to upgrade your CPU. However, this has little to do with your GPU performance. That's all on the 4820k.

TL;DR Don't worry about bottlenecks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube